Using Better Tools

• phonetictalk - Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:57 AM

There is admittedly an overhead to installing tools that goes beyond the initial cost. Installing the tool (particularly if it requires its own server), ensuring ongoing licensing compliance, and keeping up with updates spring to mind. Of course tools are worth all that (including the ones mentioned in the editorial). But it can be a harder sell than just £300 vs. time saved. 

There definitely is, and that's why you need to be sure third party tools have an ROI value over the cost.

THat's lower for free/OSS tools, but it's still there. However, a policy of nothing? Crazy.

• I don't know what percentage of companies have this policy, but since I work for a vendor (Redgate) and talk to lots of people at events, I constantly hear from people they're not allowed to install any non-MS stuff.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:35 PM

I don't know what percentage of companies have this policy, but since I work for a vendor (Redgate) and talk to lots of people at events, I constantly hear from people they're not allowed to install any non-MS stuff.

hmm.. i see. I wonder if that is just a nice way to blow someone off or if that really is the case. As my younger son would say, "Need scientific evidence!". 😀

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:32 PM

gbritton1 - Thursday, January 4, 2018 8:01 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 9:05 PM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Using Better Tools

Inspired by your editorial, I just installed SQL Search in my SSMS 17.4.  Whenever I click on the SQL Search Icon, SSMS crashes.  Had to remove SQL Search

Excellent!

sarcasm?

• @TUellner, I just downloaded SQL Search and installed it. Then I got into SSMS v17.4, but couldn't find how to run it. How do I do that?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• The organization I work for has hundreds of customers in a vertical space. We and our competitors have a pretty broad reach in our vertical. 

People you approach in a trade show may not be decision makers or may not be speaking for the entire organization.

412-977-3526 call/text

• Rod at work - Friday, January 5, 2018 8:48 AM

@TUellner, I just downloaded SQL Search and installed it. Then I got into SSMS v17.4, but couldn't find how to run it. How do I do that?

Hi Rod,

In my SSMS there is a tool strip with Redgate products in it that just shows up after install. Try looking under Tools | Customize and see if there is a Redgate toolbar and select it if it is not already selected. You should see the toolstrip with a button labeled "SQL Search".

-Tom

• What I find strange is that some orgs don't allow any third party tools, free or paid, because they don't come from Microsoft. They may even disallow utilities like sp_Blitz, sp_whoisActive, and the dbatools project. What I don't understand is why there is a blanket ban on software from companies other than Microsoft? How can you not take advantage of these tools? I get that many companies might not want a developer or DBA installing some random software on their system whenever they want. There are good reasons to not do that, but there are also good reasons to test and use actual code that is useful, even if produced by someone else.

I've worked for companies like that before.  The answer is simple.  It keeps things simple. 

I asked one of the companies about their policy.  It turned out that they had previously allowed such things but they (apparently) didn't control things properly.  As the CTO said to me, it got to the point where people were damned near cry-babies about things.  "Well, you let John get what he needed... how come not me"?  It got to be so stupid that they simply said "No more". 

Obviously that's NOT the way to do things but I can see how it can come to that.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff, apart from what you get with a SQL Server install what tools are in your arsenal?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply