Users want to use Google Data Studio

• Hi there

For most of my projects i tend to use SQL server & SSRS tho im not advirse to using other reporting tools. I have one users who comes from a Google analytics background and is insisting on my using Google Data Studio for an up and coming project. the user has no reporting backround and has no idea of ssrs capabilites other than email susbscriptions he recives from the server daily (i think he thinks this is all ssrs can do). I have explained that ssrs can handle a lot more than we currently use and can also build dashboards that he wants. Now this data studio i think is unsuitable as it currently has no connects for ms sql so an intermediate business level would have to be built to move the data up. Im going into a meeting next week and was just wondering what you guys think.

thanks

• ps_vbdev - Friday, August 11, 2017 7:43 AM

Hi there

For most of my projects i tend to use SQL server & SSRS tho im not advirse to using other reporting tools. I have one users who comes from a Google analytics background and is insisting on my using Google Data Studio for an up and coming project. the user has no reporting backround and has no idea of ssrs capabilites other than email susbscriptions he recives from the server daily (i think he thinks this is all ssrs can do). I have explained that ssrs can handle a lot more than we currently use and can also build dashboards that he wants. Now this data studio i think is unsuitable as it currently has no connects for ms sql so an intermediate business level would have to be built to move the data up. Im going into a meeting next week and was just wondering what you guys think.

thanks

I agree with your reasons for hesitation. It makes no sense to go through everything to get it to work since SQL Server isn't supported with a connector. Another point to include - the product is also in beta.
    So increase the amount of work, the level of effort, increase the costs (you'll need to set something up that would be supported with Google Data Studio), move your energies away from other projects so that something like this gets done, etc. All for one user who wants to use a beta product? Doesn't make sense.

Sue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply