use Powershell to input files to MS SQL Server?

• I'm fairly new to Powershell and have run stuck on this. We have almost a hundred scripts that we load on every new MS SQL Server. These scripts create stored procedures and such, and they all look something like this:

USE master

go

IF OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.sp_dmgr_collation') IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

DROP PROCEDURE dbo.sp_dmgr_collation

PRINT N'<<< FAILED DROPPING PROCEDURE dbo.sp_dmgr_collation >>>'

ELSE

PRINT N'<<< DROPPED PROCEDURE dbo.sp_dmgr_collation >>>'

END

go

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

go

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

go

create procedure sp_dmgr_collation

@TabelInfo char(2) = 'J'

as

<code>

go

SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

go

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

go

PRINT N'<<< CREATED PROCEDURE dbo.sp_dmgr_collation >>>'

ELSE

PRINT N'<<< FAILED CREATING PROCEDURE dbo.sp_dmgr_collation >>>'

go

GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_dmgr_collation TO public

go

Because loading these all by hand is quite cumbersome, I wanted to make a Powershell script to do this. Problem is, I cannot find a way to input a file with go's in it.

I know I can input a file:

$SqlConnection = New-Object System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection

$SqlConnection.ConnectionString = "Server=MyServer\MySqlServer;Database=master;Integrated Security=True"

$SqlCmd = New-Object System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand

$SqlCmd.CommandText = Get-Content C:\MyDir\input.sql

$SqlCmd.Connection = $SqlConnection

$SqlAdapter = New-Object System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter

$SqlAdapter.SelectCommand = $SqlCmd

$DataSet = New-Object System.Data.DataSet

$SqlAdapter.Fill($DataSet)

$SqlConnection.Close()

$DataSet.Tables[0]

But as soon as there is a go in that script, I get an error:

Exception calling "Fill" with "1" argument(s): "Incorrect syntax near 'go'."

At C:\MyDir\Connect2ToMsq.ps1:11 char:17

+ $SqlAdapter.Fill <<<< ($DataSet)

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

And as you all can see in the script in the beginning, there are plenty of go's in our scripts.

Is what I want possible? If so, how?

• How about using SMO. Something like this works:

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SQLServer.SMO") | Out-Null

$Server = New-Object ('Microsoft.SQLServer.Management.Smo.Server') 'Servername'

$db = $Server.Databases["Test"]

$script = Get-Content c:\scripts\input.sql

$extype = [Microsoft.SQLServer.Management.Common.ExecutionTypes]::ContinueOnError

$db.ExecuteNonQuery($script,$extype)

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• He Grant, your script didn't work for me, not quite sure why. But you did set me on the right path and with some Googling I got there. This one works for me:

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SQLServer.SMO") | Out-Null

$Server = New-Object ('Microsoft.SQLServer.Management.Smo.Server') 'MyServer\MySqlServer'

$db = $Server.Databases["master"]

$sr = New-Object System.IO.StreamReader("C:\MyDir\input.sql")

$script = $sr.ReadToEnd()

$extype = [Microsoft.SQLServer.Management.Common.ExecutionTypes]::ContinueOnError

$db.ExecuteNonQuery($script,$extype)

Thank you a million times over!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Not sure why Get-Content didn't work for you. I tested it several times. Still, glad you solved the problem.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• interesting way to go about deployment....

I have always just used sqlcmd.

sqlcmd -U priveldge_login -P "secretPassword" -h-1 -t 10 -S TheNewServer\Instance1 -i "C:\tempew_deployment.sql"

• I certainly prefer Powershell but you can also use Central Management Server to push new scripts and changes.

You can do this as well:

$hostname = get-content "c:\serverlist.txt" ##you can replace this with a call to CMS select * from msdb.

or

You can also do a hybrid of both (Powershell with CMS) like this:

$Hostname = Invoke-Sqlcmd -Query "select server_name from dbo.sysmanagement_shared_registered_servers_internal"

and then execute whatever you have to do on all instances in a foreach loop

foreach($server in $servers)

{

invoke-sqlcmd "blah blah"

}

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply