• Hi there, I have backed up my sql 2000 database (290Gb) using

backupexec 8.6. We had to re-build the server and install a new RAID

machine (getting rid of the old one), so after installing Win 2000

and sql 2000, we re-configured the drives and now the drives that

contained the old database have new drive letters. The database used

to be on drive F and V. Now the data drives are H and I. I am

having a hard time restoring the database to the new drives, because

it wants to restore everything to drive F. I cannot do a default

directory install since drives H and I are approximately 260Gb.

Please help and thanks in advance for your help.

• While restoring the backup you need to change the Drive letters. Go to the EM-> Databases->Resotre Database ->From Device -> Choose the backup File -> and specify the database name->Go to options -> and change restore as file name to the required directory.

All the Best

Shas3

• If you used the SQL Server Agent thingy in BackupExec then you may not be given the option of doing as Shas3 suggests. If that's the case, and if BackupExec doesn't allow you to manipulate the destination database then you may be stuck with temporarily changing those drive letters back to F and V, restoring, detaching, changing again to H and I, re-attaching.

Cheers,
    - Mark

• There is an option in Backup Exec (I've never used the option myself, so check out your documentation) to restore to a different location; it's similar to SQL Server's WITH MOVE.

-SQLBill

• You need to used the BE feature "redirected restore". The dialog boxes will allow you to specify a different (single) drive to use if the original can not be found. After the restore completes, then you can detach, move the file and then attach.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply