URGENT: Explosive log growth

• All:

I've got a serious problem happening now with the transaction log on one of my databases. The log keeps growing at an alarming rate - avg. 1GB/hr on a ~550MB database; there's nowhere near that much insert/update activity in the database. This is causing space problems with the (hourly) log backups.

The database serves an internal web site; both the web server and the SQL server have been bounced, but this keeps happening.

Profiler shows many, many TransactionLog events in Profiler - orders of magnitude greater than other events. User activity is no greater than it ever is. DBCC OPENTRAN consistently returns no open transactions. I've created a job to checkpoint and truncate the log right before the log backups, but that's obviously only a stopgap for the backup space problem & not a solution.

Do you have any suggestions as to where to go from here? I'm at a loss, and this can't stay as it is. Thanks for ANY input...

• HI,

Have you checked what all the activities the users are running.  Sometimes it happens the tranlog grows very badly. If you are not able to find any activities in the server run the profiler to track the transactions happening in the database.

If you feel the tranlog is not required on the database. You can put the database in the simple mode.

Pls do reply in case of any other questions on the topic.

Thanks.  

• I've just noted that the SPID with all the TransactionLog events is also running a fair number of SQLTransaction events with ObjectName of "buildstats" or "Flush IDES", about which I can't find any information. The TRansactionLog events are still much greater in number than these.

User activities are not outside the norm.

• Apparently someone is UPDATING STATISTICS on your database

* Noel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply