Urgent

• Hello,

I heard from our vendor today regarding the SQL server issue.  He said that he limited the amount of memory that the SQL server can use to 1GB and after doing that  he noticed that the processor usage dropped.

Does this make sense? 

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

-Priti

• Hi Priti

Going to need a little more info about this one:

There are 6 different versions of SQL 2000 (never mind Sql7 or other versions). Here are the details that may be helpful

Enterprise Edition: CPU 32 processors RAM 64GB

Standard Edition: CPU 4 RAM 8GB

Personal Edition: CPU 2 not much.

CE Edition: don't think this is relavent

Developer Edition: same as Enterprise

Enterprise Evaluation Edition: 120 days license

For more info try this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/planning/ChoosEd.doc

• IF limiting the memory SQL can use to 1GB and CPU usage dropped is that a bad thing?

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• A dedicated SQL Server is best using all the RAM it wants.

If you're running server side applications such as IIS with SQL as well, then what may have happened is the non-SQL app may be paging less as more physical memory is available. SQL should release memory on demand, but can be a bit slow...

• It could make sense - there's quite a tight relationship between disks, memory and cpu. In a sense I could imagine cpu dropping - as by limiting memory you could be slowing down ( throttling back the server ). Certainly the reverse is true where I have increased memory workloads/throughput on the server have increased, including cpu

I also have another observation - I've found a number of people who worry about cpu usage, why reduce it - that means your server is doing less work ( problems aside ) I'd be very worried if my procs were not busy on my server !!

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Colin makes an excellent point. I have worked with many clients who really start to get worried if their cpu utilization gets between 40 and 50%! I personally would not worry about cpu until it gets above 85% consistently. If you are going to pay for processors, then you should plan on using them . As for reducing memory which reduces cpu, that makes a lot of sense to me. There is less memory which means you have fewer processes able to use it. Less processes means less processing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply