Upgrading to 2008 from 2005

• Sql Server 2005 Std Edn

Server A is mirrored to Server B; Server A is also a publisher to Server C which is pull subscription. I would need to move/upgrade these onto a different set of servers which will be running SS2008. I restored the SS2005 db onto SS2008 db and it went fine (testing). I understand i would need to bring the logins, stored procedures, grants etc.

My question is how do i bring the mirror and the replication?

1. In the case of the mirror the Mirror address will change since the server names will be different. Do i need to drop and recreate the mirror? The db size is 100GB+;

2. For replication, do i restart at a particular LSN after i bring the db's to SS2008? Or do i need to recreate it from scratch?

I am digging the BOL for clues on this type of scenario. This is the first time i will be upgrading a db with mirroring.

TIA

• if you restore a database you must reinitialize the mirroring. meaning you'll have to backup the database and restore it to the mirror. The replication can be re-initialized without a snapshot.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• sturner (7/29/2010)

if you restore a database you must reinitialize the mirroring. meaning you'll have to backup the database and restore it to the mirror. The replication can be re-initialized without a snapshot.

Thanks for the reply/suggestion. I have some more clarifications.

When i restore onto the new sever, the mirror will still point to the old SS2005 Server (Mirror site); I have to ensure the port is not open and is not reachable from the new SS2008 server (principal). So after restoring, should i drop the mirror and recreate a new one in SQL Server 2008? The reason i am asking this is , if there are any errors while setting up (new) mirror i can abort and continue with the SS2005 setup. Alternatively, i drop the mirror in SS2005 , backup, bring the db to SS2008 and set up a new mirror. The disadvantage in this scenario would be , in case of a rollback, i would need to recreate the mirror in SS2005.

Do you think i am correct in saying this?

Regarding replication how do you re-initialize? Don't you think the replication will fail since the server name's are different? Is there anyway i can repoint and continue from where it left? If i have missed something obvious, please bear with me and suggest.

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply