Upgrading Sql server 2008 Developer edition to Enterprise

• Hi,

I want to know if it is possible to upgrade the sql server 2008 developer edition to enterprise edition of 2008. I checked the msdn website. it does say the upgrade is possible, but I am still wondering if there are any issues in doing so or if anyone had any problems after the upgrade.

A little background for this question.

Currently our production reporting service is on 2005. We plan to move our existing reporting service to 2008 version.

Although we have asked for 2008 enterprise version license, it will take minimum 8 weeks to arrive. We have a project for which we have been asked to develop reports on 2008. Since we don't want to wait for so long, I thought we can start with the developer version and once the license arrives we can move to production and also upgrade the old reports.

Thanks

• Your situation is one of the reasons for the developer edition license and it is not upgrade it is simple code migration because all features are the same. When you install he Enterprise edition just move code and databases as needed including the Reporting Services. Reporting services migration require plan and all the steps are documented in either the BOL or MSDN online.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi,

I am sorry, but I should I have made myself more clear. What I want to do is to install the sql server 2008 developer edition. Once the enterprise license is available to to us, upgrade the same installation to enterprise. This way I believe we will not have to move the databases and reports.

I read about upgrading the evaluation and standard editions to enterprise, where you just put the enterprise license key and unlock the features. I was wondering If I could just do this for developer edition and make it enterprise ( so it becomes our new production server)

Thanks

• If you are in the US or Canada check the link below and talk to Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/how-to-buy.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply