Upgrading SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 (in place)

• Hi there,

After spending 2 days on this issue, I am now stuck. I have a test machine that I wish to practise performing in-place upgrades from SQL Server 2000 to 2005 to 2008 AND from 2000 to 2008 directly.

Tech Specs

- Windows Server 2003 R2 x64

- Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz

- 8GB RAM

For the practise, I installed 2 instances of SQL 2000 x86 Standard and then installed SP4 on both.

- Alpha2kTo2k5

- Bravo2kTo2k8

I proceeded to upgrade Alpha to SQL 2005 and managed to do so without a hitch. I then applied SP3 to the 2005 instance.

My next planned step was to upgrade both the 2000SP4 and 2005SP3 instances to SQL 2008.

Herewith listed the steps performed:

- Run Setup.EXE

- Select "Installation"

- Select "Upgrade from SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005"

- All initial Setup Support Rules passed (6/6)

- Install Setup Support Files

- Setup Support Rules passed 12/13. Skipped 1 as "Not Applicable" (Microsoft .NET Application Security)

- Entered a valid SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition product key, and accepted license agreement

Now this is where i got stuck. The next page is the "Select Features" page. At the top of the form it says "It Is Not Possible to change the SQL Server features to be upgraded in this release". The Featurs area is greyed out, which I kinda expected, but the only features listed are the following:

- Shared Features

- Redistributable Features

If I click on Next, the Disk Usage summary says that only 16Mb of drive space will be required for my selections, so clearly something is missing.

If I (hopefully so) continue and finish the upgrade, my instances are still as they were before. Nowhere was I asked which instance I want to upgrade.

Merry x-mas to all

• I haven't done a multi-instance in-place upgrade, so I can't say what to do technically. What I would suggest is contacting Microsoft support directly.

I've done in-place upgrades, but only on single-instance servers. (I generally prefer virtual machines over multiple instance of SQL Server, though it does take more resources because of duplicate OSs.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I have tried doing the same with a Default Instance of SQL 2000 Standard, and have the same result.

<hr noshade size='1' width='250' color='#BBC8E5'>Kindest Regards,

Roelof
    <a href='http://' class='authorlink' target='_blank'></a>

--There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply