Upgrading from SQL2000 to SQL2008 question.

• We are planning an upgrade from sql 2000 sp3 to sql 2008.

I have read that upgrading from sql 2000 is only supported if you are on sp4.

sp4 breaks some of our queries, and I would like to avoid installing it.

Does anyone know why sp4 is required?

We don't use any complex things like dts packages, linked servers, etc.

Can we just backup the sql 2000 sp3 database and restore it on the sql 2008 server?

Thanks

• Hi John,

I am currently using SP4 on our production sql 2000 servers. Main reason for using SP4 is to fix the memory leak on DTS Packages.

To upgrade to sql 2008, you can restore backup file on sql 2008 server or detach and reattach the server but I suggest backup on 2000 and restore on 2008 server is more safe.

Also you can run Microsoft SQL 2008 upgrade advisor and see what it said.

Leo

• Thats Microsoft's party line, if it is not SP4 it is not supported. Because if you run into issues and you are not SP4 they can't say the issue was resolved or not. That is, is the issue because you didn't upgrade, or because you found another bug? That's how I look at it.

But as Leo said you can just upgrade it to 2008 by doing a backup then restore. But I if just going to SP4 is breaking some of your queries I would strongly recommend running it through the Upgrade Advisor first to see what kind of queries are might have an issue.

If you have lots of in-line SQL coding in you applications, capture the code in SQL Profiler using Replay log and run it through the SQL Upgrade Advisor to see for possible issues.

Thanks.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply