Upgrading 2k5 to 2k8 r2

• Hi All,

I'm doing research on upgrading an existing sql setup from 2005 to 2008r2 and then adding on reporting services.

Where can I find a list of things that have been deprecated and no longer supported in in 2008r2. Is there also a list somewhere of settings that need to be changed in 2005 prior to upgrading, especially anything that impacts performance?

Thanks,

Duane

• Use the Upgrade advisor to see if you possibly have troubles.

Deprecated features : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143729.aspx

• PS you can also simply make a new install for ssrs 2K8 R2 and use the old 2K5 engine. You don't need to upgrade the whole thing.

• Thanks Ninja. Any special considerations for Sql Server Reporting Services?

• tsidb (10/20/2011)

Thanks Ninja. Any special considerations for Sql Server Reporting Services?

Not sure what you mean by that.

You can prove to yourself that it works by installing 2008 R2 trial locally including SSRS. Then use your prod server as the datasource. That's how I did confirm this.

From there on out, all the new tools, gadgets & whistles work even with an "older" data engine.

• I meant to ask if there were any performance settings that need to be changed form 2005 to 2008.

• Not that I know of, but since I never performed that upgrade that doesn't mean much.

That being said if the query was running fine on SSRS 2K5 + SQL 2K5 I see little reason for it to go boom when NOT changing the data engine version.

For the rendering / upgrade part, the only way to know is testing.

• thanks for all the help. much appreciated!!!

• Sorry if I post what you already know.

I can not stress enough how important the testing phase is. You have to use the exact same version of SQL, Windows etc. to do the testing. I was on a project a few months ago to upgrade our clients' SQL server 2005 to 2008 R2.

As far as the upgrading part goes, it's fairly simple. In my case we just made backups of the 2005 environment and restored it on 2008. It automatically restores it with the correct compatibility as well.

For the logins I created a stored procedure that creates the "create user *" script for all users. I know there is a option in the BI tool to do this as well, haven't tried that though.

Good luck

• Why didn't you do side by side upgrade?

• We had to install new raid controllers and hdd's.

We have 2 mirror servers, so to reduce the risk and downtime we started on the one (passive, duh!) and after confirming all was well we moved over to the other one.

It took us about 8 to 10 hours (dependable on how many databases and the sizes as well)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply