upgrade from sql server 2000 to 2005

• Hi,

we are planning to upgrade from 2000 t0 2005. We have a default instance in sql server 2000. If we do side-by-side upgrade, can we have the same default instance? or do we need to change it to named instance? our requirement is to keep the same instance name.

thanks

• If you're doing the upgrade onto a different machine, you can have the same instance name. If not, you can't.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• You would have to use named instance in this scenario.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• If it is on the same box, then named instance(not possible to go for default 2005 instance) and if it is new box, we can have the sql server 2005 default instance with side-by-side upgrade right?

• Yes, and you could rename the servers at the end so that your application would not have to be changed.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• what do you mean by this??

"Yes, and you could rename the servers at the end so that your application would not have to be changed."

Can we change the named instance into a default instance after installation??

If so can you explain how?

• No, I was referring to Mani's comment about having 2 servers. If that was possible then you could do the rename at the end. Sorry for the confusion.

David

@SQLTentmaker

• Thanks David.

Can we actually change the named instance to a default instance using the fallowing code??

I cam accross this but not sure weather this works or not.

Exec sp_dropserver nameofinstance

Exec sp_addserver machinename,'local'

Just curious...weather it works or not.

I dont have a sand box to test otherwise i would have tested.

• I honestly don't know. Haven't tried it. I could try to test it in the next day or so but not immediately as I'm a wee bit busy lately.

Anyone else?

David

@SQLTentmaker

• No, you can't.

MJ

• This is taken from Microsoft documentation: “…you can change a computer named MB1 that hosts an instance of SQL Server named Instance1 to another name, such as MB2. However, the instance part of the name, Instance1, will remain unchanged. In this example, the \\ComputerName\InstanceName would be changed from \\MB1\Instance1 to \\MB2\Instance1.” (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143799.aspx How to: Rename a Computer that Hosts a Stand-Alone Instance of SQL Server)

By the way did you consider upgrading to SQL Server 2008 instead of SQL Server 2005?

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• The easiest way would be to backup the database(s) on the SQL 2000 box, move them to a temp directory (or offsite). Uninstall SQL 2000, install SQL 2005 with SP2 or SP3 (for Maintenance Plan issues), restore database(s).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply