Upgrade from 2005 to 2008 and trace flags!

• I’ve ran the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Advisor on my SQL Express 2005 DB.

I’m getting the famous error about changing the behavior of trace flags…

The object affected are:

Trace Flag: 8017

I’ve lookup up that the trace flag can be turned off by the following code:

traceoff(8017,-1)

So far, so good, but I’m weary about turning off the trace flag, since I assume they must be there for a purpose…What is that purpose of trace flags in general and this one in particular and what are the consequences of turning it off?

To be clear, I don’t want to upgrade my instance of SQL Server 2005 to 2008, I ran upgrade advisor to see if my DB would be compatible with 2008, as I plan on doing a backup from 2005 and restoring it on a 2008 machine – So I don’t know if trace flags have to do with the DB engine or my database… I’m thinking trace flags have to do with the machine and not my DB…so therefore, they wouldn’t be present in a backup…

Enlighten me and let me know…

Thanks

• Traceflags change some piece of behaviour of the database engine. No idea what 8107 does, can't seem to find any info on it. Have asked some friends.

You'll probably find this one's been enabled as a startup parameter. While you can switch it off with TRACEOFF, if it is a startup parameter it'll just turn back on on startup. Check the Configuration manager (if SQL Express has that)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply