Upgrade a standalone instance to Cluster

• Hello All,

I want to upgrade my SQL Server 2005 standalone instance to clustered instance without changing the name or IP. Because i have the dependency on replication i.e my publication databases are located at different sites and i cannot reintialize replication now.

And is there any way to keep the instance name same as the previous standalone instance?

• Dj463 (8/22/2011)

is there any way to keep the instance name same as the previous standalone instance?

if the stand alone server and the new cluster are in different domains then yes!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• @perry: Can we do it within the same domain?

I mean if standalone instance name is SQL123 and IP 10.1.2.12, Then can i install a clustered instance on the same server and give the virtual server the name SQL123 and IP 10.1.2.12 ?

• wouldn't you simply do the following.

1. Rename the existing SQL123 to, say SQL123CLUSTER

2. change the ip address on the SQL123CLUSTER to a different IP address.

3. enable clustering, and give it the virtual name as being SQL123 and assign the newly freeed up IP address of 10.1.2.12

4. add passive/actie cluster servers to the new service

It's been a while since I've added a clsuter, but that's what i think is required, right?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (8/22/2011)

Rename the existing SQL123 to, say SQL123CLUSTER

I think we connot rename a SQL instance.

• Dj463 (8/22/2011)

Lowell (8/22/2011)

I think we cannot rename a SQL instance.

you rename the Server at the operating system/networking level, not the instances themselves.

any server can be renamed. any SQL instances gets the machine name portion renamed,and the instance name just appends to the new name.

my machine has one default instance and two named instances;

it was once named D223 (you know \\D223\c$\Program Files to access stuff from the network) ,

the instance names of the SQL servers were

D223\SQL2008 and

D223\EXPRESS

i renamed the machine to DEV223, which also has an internal DNS name of DEV223.OurDomain.com.

so my default instance now answers to DEV223 , and my named instances now answer to

DEV223\SQL2008 and

DEV223\EXPRESS

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Dj463 (8/22/2011)

@Perry: Can we do it within the same domain?

I mean if standalone instance name is SQL123 and IP 10.1.2.12, Then can i install a clustered instance on the same server and give the virtual server the name SQL123 and IP 10.1.2.12 ?

No, that's not how it works. The virtual IP and network name for each clustered instance must be unique. Is the server part of a windows cluster?

Dj463 (8/22/2011)

Lowell (8/22/2011)

you just need to run sp_dropserver and then sp_addserver for each instance

Lowell's suggestion is one way of achieving this the other is only possible if the servers are in different domains

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry Whittle (8/22/2011)

Dj463 (8/22/2011)

@Perry: Can we do it within the same domain?

No, that's not how it works. The virtual IP and network name for each clustered instance must be unique. Is the server part of a windows cluster?

Dj463 (8/22/2011)

Lowell (8/22/2011)

you just need to run sp_dropserver and then sp_addserver for each instance

Lowell's suggestion is one way of achieving this the other is only possible if the servers are in different domains

No the server is not a part of windows cluster.

I cannot rename my current standalone instance since my instance contains replication databases(Subscription databases)

• Dj463 (8/24/2011)

so how do you plan to install a clustered instance of SQL Server if the server is not part of a Windows cluster?

Do you understand how Windows\SQL server clustering works?

• Perry Whittle (8/24/2011)

Dj463 (8/24/2011)

so how do you plan to install a clustered instance of SQL Server if the server is not part of a Windows cluster?

Do you understand how Windows\SQL server clustering works?

My Current environment is -a standalone instance of SQL Server 2005 installed on Windows server 2003(not clustered).

I am just listing the steps which i intend to perform to migrate this instance to Cluster.

1)Install windows cluster and make my current server a node

2)Take Standalone machine out of network. Make sure there is no entry for host name or IP address anywhere in the network.

3)Install SQL Server cluster with a new clustered instance. keep IP address and Virtual Server name same as standalone instance.

4)Restore databases and map logins on new clustered instance.

5)Once this is completed, Test failover to other node.

Correct me if i am wrong 🙂

• It looks like you are planning to build new servers to form the cluster. I hope this is your plan as this is the only safe way to do this upgrade.

Although in theory you may be able to convert a non-clustered Windows and SQL instance to a cluster, you should test this approach at least twice before doing it to your production box. Using a cluster introduces some new and interesting ways to trash your server, so the last thing you want to do is experiment with your production machine.

As you are doing a new server build, why are you planning to keep with Wiondows 2003, as this is not now out of support. Windows 2008 R2 can take advantage of hardware features introduced in more recent processor (e.g. SLAT) so it runs faster than W2003 could on the same hardware. Also, clustering with W2008 R2 is easier to manage than with W2003.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• EdVassie (8/30/2011)

As you are doing a new server build, why are you planning to keep with Wiondows 2003, as this is not out of support. Windows 2008 R2 can take advantage of hardware features introduced in more recent processor (e.g. SLAT) so it runs faster than W2003 could on the same hardware. Also, clustering with W2008 R2 is easier to manage than with W2003.

Yes i am planning to build new server. We already have licenses for 2003 edition and at present i dont think we would go for 2008, as we have some dependency.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply