Upgrade 2000 to 2005; database still 2000

• I just installed 2005 and accepted all the defaults to upgrade the default instance of 2000 as prompted. I also upgraded the Sharepoint instance. However, when I open the SQL Server Mgnt Studio, my server shows 8.0.2039 as the version, which is 2000The whole installation process went fine including sp1. I looked in Services to see if there was more than one instance of SQL Server, and there isn't. Also, all my database files are still in the old 2000 (mssql\data) directory. Any ideas, solutions? Thank you.

This issue is also preventing the proper initialization of Reporting Services, which did not exist in 2000, but am installing a new instance in 2005. Using the configuration utility, all steps are fine until I reach the point where it tries to connect, then it reports an error when verifying database version.

• Hell John,

Have you checked the compatibility level of the database? 

Thanks

Lucky

• lucky,

No. If you wouldn't mind telling me, that would be great. While I have many years as an database analyst, I am still a novice in SQL Server administration.

Thanks!

John

• EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel 'DbName'

But since you don't know about that, I'm assuming you didn't manually alter it, so that would make them level 80.

However I have no clue on how to help you with the rest of the problem.  Good luck!

• I checked the compatibility level, and they are all 80.

This really would not even be an issue for me, since Sharepoint works fine the way it is. However, installing Reporting Services cannot complete because of version errors.

• Are you sure that you are connecting to the right server instance.  Is it possible that the upgrade tool in fact creates another server instance and that both the old and new instance co-exists (just speculating here)?

• the upgrade is kind of flaky and i had it where i thought i was upgrading when i installed another instance

best way to check is in your start menu. if you have a folder for SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 tools then you have 2 instances. try to open the SQL 2005 management studio to see what the name of the instance is

• By default, SQL 2005 doesn't upgrade the databases themselves (or it didn't the last time I used it) due to possible compatibility issues that might exists in some databases (it's a case of 'better safe, than sorry').

To upgrade an existing database, you can:

1. Use the SQL 2005 Upgrade Advisor on your Product Disc or download it here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=45788

2. Search your SQL 2005 Books Online index for "upgrading databases" and select the article entitled "How to: Upgrade a Database Using Detach and Attach"

Enjoy!

A Brown

Manage all of your backups in one simple job using this script.

• i bet database services were not upgraded during upgrade process.

Do you remember seeing "database engine" getting insalled/upgraded during migation?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply