Updating data in a table

• Can DTS be used to update an existing row in a table?  My experience with DTS is that I have  loaded empty tables with data from text files as well as transformed some data using an ActiveX VBScript.

I have a project where address data will be sent out for NCOA - National Change Of Address processing.  When the results are returned, I have to interrogate various fields to see of a record will be updated with a new address. Then I need to apply the update.

Can this sort of thing be done with DTS?  If yes, can someone point me to some examples or documentation?

Thanks,

Steve DiDomenico

Nashua, NH

• As far as I know, DTS inserts data only (when you talk about the transformation tasks)

But DTS also contains the SQL Query object in which you can execute SQL Queries to update records.

Having said that, I would rather then use simple SQL statements (or call StoredProcs) using ADO for that purpose. It would be much ligter and more effective.

These SQL Queries or StoredProcs could also be scheduled (same as DTS's) if that is what you need. In this case you would not need to interface with SQL Server via ADO, but rather let SQL do as SQL does...

• Thanks wbeetge.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply