Update trigger

• Hi All,

I am struggling with to create a update triggers. I have table Vijay and there are few records are available

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[vijay](

[id] [int] NULL,

[name] [varchar](20) NULL,

[Surname] [varchar](20) NULL,

[Modified_By] [varchar](20) NULL,

[Modified_DateTime] [datetime] NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

INSERT INTO [vijay](id,name, Surname)

SELECT 1, 'vijay', 'Sahu'

UNION ALL

SELECT 2, 'vinod', 'Sahu'

UNION ALL

SELECT 3, 'vikas', 'Sahu'

GO

Create TRIGGER [dbo].[vijay_UPDATE]

ON [dbo].[vijay]

AFTER UPDATE

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

IF UPDATE(name)

BEGIN

Update vijay Set Modified_By = suser_sname(),Modified_DateTime = getdate()

END

IF UPDATE(Surname)

BEGIN

Update vijay Set Modified_By = suser_sname(),Modified_DateTime = getdate()

END

END

I have created the update trigger which will update the Modified_By and Modified_DateTime if any one

updates the Name or Surname column values.

But there is a problem if I run the below Query

Update [dbo].[vijay] SET Surname ='Sahu0000'

where id =1

[/Code]

This updates the Modified_By and Modified_DateTime for others records as well that I don't want .It should only update the Modified_By and Modified_DateTime for a record where it is updated.

Also do we need to specify indidual column names in the IF UPDATE syntax. is there any way where any of the column value is modified for a record ,It should update the Modified_By and Modified_DateTime columns.

• great job posting your code and your work!

The thing about triggers, is that they have a pair of psuedo tables named INSERTED and DELETED.

Thos tables have the before and after versions of the data for the duration of the trigger.

you need to join them to the original table in order to limit yourself to just rows that changed, instead of the whole table like you are doing now.

your column [Modified_By] is limited to 20 chars, but suser_name can return 128 chars....you need to fix that or you will get an error in the trigger

i'd redo the trigger like this:

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[vijay_UPDATE]

ON [dbo].[vijay]

AFTER UPDATE

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

IF UPDATE(NAME) OR UPDATE(Surname)

BEGIN

UPDATE MyTarget

SET Modified_By = Suser_sname(),

Modified_DateTime = Getdate()

FROM vijay MyTarget

INNER JOIN [inserted] MySource

ON MyTarget.ID = MySource.ID

END --IF

END --TRIGGER

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thank you very much Lowell.

Do we need to mention every column which is being updated in IF UPDATE statement ?

Is there any way out if any column is updated then modified_by and modified_datetime should be updated a row level.

Because there might be a case where my table may have around 50 columns and if any column is updated then above mentioned columns must be updated.

According to solution I need to mention all 50 columns in that case.

Please advice.

• If you want the trigger to update those columns regardless of which columns are updated, just remove the IF clause altogether.

John

• vijay_uitrgpv (4/1/2016)

Thank you very much Lowell.

Do we need to mention every column which is being updated in IF UPDATE statement ?

Is there any way out if any column is updated then modified_by and modified_datetime should be updated a row level.

Because there might be a case where my table may have around 50 columns and if any column is updated then above mentioned columns must be updated.

According to solution I need to mention all 50 columns in that case.

Please advice.

the trigger as designed, will only update if two specific columns modify. In practical terms,you might use that if you only care about changes to specific columns, but ignore changes in other columns.

by simply removing the If test, and if ANY update occurs, the modified date will be populated.

this is a common strategy, where a DateCreated column gets populated by a default, but a DateModified column is handled by a trigger; that way you know the Date the record was created, as well as last modified.

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[vijay_UPDATE]

ON [dbo].[vijay]

AFTER UPDATE

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

UPDATE MyTarget

SET Modified_By = Suser_sname(),

Modified_DateTime = Getdate()

FROM vijay MyTarget

INNER JOIN [inserted] MySource

ON MyTarget.ID = MySource.ID

END --TRIGGER

IF OBJECT_ID('[dbo].[vijay]') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE [dbo].[vijay]

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[vijay] (

[id] INT NULL,

[name] VARCHAR(20) NULL,

[Surname] VARCHAR(20) NULL,

[Created_By] VARCHAR(128) NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__vijay__Created_B__1A016BAA] DEFAULT (suser_sname()),

[Created_Datetime] DATETIME NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__vijay__Created_D__1AF58FE3] DEFAULT (getdate()),

[Modified_By] VARCHAR(128) NULL,

[Modified_DateTime] DATETIME NULL)

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• If all columns are "important" for updating your who/when columns then you don't need to check for them. You simply update the fields joining to INSERTED without a WHERE clause. So ANY update gets your two fields updated. You only need to check fields updated if you need some exceptional handling that doesn't involve any/all fields.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply