Update statistics - Maintenance plan

• I have setup Maintenance plan for index updating, and it is failing.

This is the error displayed in history.

Argument "local" for option "connection" is not valid. The command line parameters are invalid. The step failed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Open the Maintenance Plan

Click on "Manage Connections"

By default there will be a connection named "Local server connection"

Check if there are any other conflicting connections in the same window.

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• checked that already. The local server connection is ticked and the connection string is of the same server, no conflict

• What is the build of SQL Server? If it is below SQL Server 2005 SP2, then the Maintenance Plans are dependent of SSIS. In that case you may want to check if the version of SSIS is in sync with that of SQL Server.

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• I hope it might be the space between connection name "Local server connection". Please rename the connection without space,hyphen or dot eg: 'Localserverconnection' but like this, it will fix this issue. 🙂 I had the same issue and it worked for me.

• Please note: 5 year old thread.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • yes! old thread only. But I answered for this thread since it's showing at the first position in Google search ranking when we search for the query "argument for option connection is not valid. the command line parameters are invalid" . But here the correct answer is not available so I posted my answer which resolved me for this error. Is it wrong if I post answers for older threads?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply