update, insert delete trigger help

• I need some suggestions for using or more identifying what record in a table was inserted, updated, or deleted so that I can use the identity info from that record later on in the same trigger.

Specifically, I have a trigger that watches a column. I want that trigger to fire on update, insert, or delete and be able to grab the identity of the row that fired the trigger, again so I can use it later within the same trigger.

Thanks in advance, this forum always points me in the right direction!

• Look into BOL on Triggers and use of the "inserted" and "deleted" tables...

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• I always look to BOL first but can't find what I need. I guess what I really want is to know where I can find a list of system cursors that are created by default whenever there is an event that modifies a table.

Jeff

• do you have an id column ?! what is the ddl of the table on which you're setting the trigger ?!

are you not able to grab the modified row using the id from the "Inserted" or "Deleted" tables ?!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Those two tables "inserted" and "deleted" contain the information about the records that have been changed. 

Try making another Trigger that takes all records from "inserted" and dumps them into a table of the same structure as the original.  Make some type of change to the table and see what you get...

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• Here's an example of the use of the inserted table in a trigger:

Create Trigger CustomerTruckInsert on CustomerTruck FOR Insert, Update

not for replication

as

Update CustomerTruck set DateLastChanged=getutcdate()   

From [Inserted] , CustomerTruck

where Inserted.CustomerTruckID=CustomerTruck.CustomerTruckID

hth

jg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply