Up, Up, and Away

• phonetictalk (8/26/2016)

...And when you turn left at a red light, a lot of people stare. :hehe:

How very dare us use a red light, or as you call them a stop light, to indicate you must stop. How very British of us!!!:rolleyes:

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Edinburgh is great, and with all the hills, no need to go outside the city to go hiking.

If you are into tourist stuff, visit the haunting tour called the Real Mary Kings Close is great.

Not really haunting or scary, but very interesting from a historical perspective.

And the Queens yacht - The Royal Yacht Britannia is great if you like ships.

or just spending time walking the city and going to the castle works.

Inverness, the Isle of Skye, and just about all of Scotland are worth taking several weeks traveling around. But if you only have a few days, really suggest that you stay local. Edinburgh to Inverness is a long trip.

Have a great trip

Scandinavian food:

lutefisk: YUK

breakfast sweet breads (Danish and such) the best

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/26/2016)

Thanks, we are thinking to try and get up to Inverness and maybe beyond

If you're going up to Inverness, take the train from Edinburgh. Goes through some lovely countryside. 3 hour trip. Splurge for first class and *reserve a seat*

If you have time in Inverness, take a trip out to Culloden Moor (site of the Battle of Culloden). That one's better done on an overcast day, maybe a bit of rain. Sunshine doesn't suit the mood of the place. Clava Cairns are also worth seeing

I've just got back from a week in Stornoway. That's also worth a visit sometime.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • phonetictalk (8/26/2016)

And when you turn left at a red light, a lot of people stare. :hehe:

Yes, because unlike in the US, turning left (would be right for the US) through a red light is not permitted. Can get you a fine and a stern talking to if there's a police officer nearby.

I have little trouble driving in the UK. South Africa also drives on the left, and our road laws are similar enough. What gets me in Scotland are the single track roads, and the speeds that the locals drive down them.

Single track road in thick fog? Not my idea of fun.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/26/2016)

phonetictalk (8/26/2016)

And when you turn left at a red light, a lot of people stare. :hehe:

Yes, because unlike in the US, turning left (would be right for the US) through a red light is not permitted. Can get you a fine and a stern talking to if there's a police officer nearby.

I have little trouble driving in the UK. South Africa also drives on the left, and our road laws are similar enough. What gets me in Scotland are the single track roads, and the speeds that the locals drive down them.

Single track road in thick fog? Not my idea of fun.

I know what you mean. A lot of "country" roads in the UK are like that too. Where I get confused is what do I do when I have a tractor coming my way....:ermm:

• BLOB_EATER (8/27/2016)

...Where I get confused is what do I do when I have a tractor coming my way....:ermm:

Tractor is bigger...it wins!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Have a good time, Steve.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• You are fortunate to have a job that allows this kind of travel and meeting of so many people. Have a great time.

• Thanks, everyone. Had a great time. A few days in Edinburgh, a day in Stirling, lost a day with illness, but rented a car and drove to Fort William to hike Ben Nevis and see the sights.

Quite enjoyable.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply