Unable to revoke sysadmin rights and give proper priviliges toa login

• hi,

We had installed and configured biztalk server and the biztalk databases sit in sql server 2005. For, installation of biztalk , we require login ABC with sysadmin rights. After installation we need to revoke the sysadmin privilege and give securityadmin server role and db_securityadmin,db_accessadmin,db_ddladmin database role.

Here is the scenario:

I have a login ABC which has Sysadmin rights.

Now, I want revoke sysadmin rights for this login and give security admin server role and user mapping For database xyz, I need to give db_securityadmin,db_accessadmin,db_ddladmin.

So to do this I went Security->logins->ABC-Properties->uncheck sysadmin role and give securityAdmin->usermapping select the database xyz and give db_securityadmin,db_accessadmin,db_ddladmin then say ok Iam getting the following error

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Add member failed for DatabaseRole 'db_accessadmin'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.3042.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Add+member+DatabaseRole&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Cannot use the special principal 'dbo'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15405)

In user mapping I have

database user defaultschema

xyz dbo dbo

here, The server role is changed to securityadmin from sysadmin but the database roles are not changing.

In next attempt I did the the following:

Security->logins->ABC-Properties->uncheck sysadmin role and give securityAdmin->usermapping Uncheck the database xyz and check it again and give db_securityadmin,db_accessadmin,db_ddladmin then say ok Iam getting the following error

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Rename failed for User 'dbo'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

Cannot alter the user 'dbo'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15150)

In this case:

In user mapping I have

database user defaultschema

xyz def\abc

here, The server role is changed to securityadmin from sysadmin but the database roles are not changing.

plz advice How can I revoke this sysadmin role and give securityadmin server role and db_securityadmin,db_accessadmin,db_ddladmin database roles for ABC login.

Many thanks

• Its happening because the owner of the database is this login "xyz". To revoke permissions from it change the database owner to something else for eg. Exec sp_shangedbowner 'sa' and then go under security-->logins and it will now allow you to revoke the permissions.

HTH,

MJ

• Thanks Manu...its resolved my issue.

• But something is not working after revoking the privileges,if I want to revert back to the privileges that I have before what should I do?

• Give back the previous access and role membership one by one and see which one allow it to work..

MJ

• Thanks so very much for this insight... Save the day, the bacon and several sleepless nights that were yet to come.

FYI ! --> Please make a spelling change for the command is: Exec sp_Changedbowner 'sa'

My thoughts!

In MS Books on line for the “Alter User” command you will find this warning:

"The value of DEFAULT_SCHEMA is ignored if the user is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role.

All members of the sysadmin fixed server role have a default schema of dbo."

Which is exactly what was happening to me, I unintentionally set the userid 'TestR' to sysadmin... (my bad)

This clobbered every default schema declaration in every database on this server instance.

-----------

--Here is my syntax where I had previously/ erroneously done the next line

--EXEC sys.sp_Addsrvrolemember @loginame = N'TestR', @rolename = N'sysadmin';

---

---Here is what I did to correct the issue.

Use Master

go

Exec sp_Changedbowner 'sa' --- This blogs solution followed by the next command

go

EXEC sys.sp_DROPsrvrolemember @loginame = N'TestR', @rolename = N'sysadmin';

---

Once done, the command, "select * from XMA.." , revealed the default schema of ‘APP’ in the XMA database, it was as if this server level Role was completely overriding/masking my lower user level actions.

Again Many Thanks, A BIG Lesson learned !!!

Hank Freeman

Senior SQL Server DBA/Data & Systems Architect

End.

🙂

Hank Freeman
    Senior SQL Server DBA / Data & Solutions Architect
    hfreeman@msn.com
    678-414-0090 (Personal Cell)

• Thanks so very much for this insight... Save the day, the bacon and several sleepless nights that were yet to come.

FYI ! --> Please make a spelling change for the command is: Exec sp_Changedbowner 'sa'

My thoughts!

In MS Books on line for the “Alter User” command you will find this warning:

"The value of DEFAULT_SCHEMA is ignored if the user is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role.

All members of the sysadmin fixed server role have a default schema of dbo."

Which is exactly what was happening to me, I unintentionally set the userid 'TestR' to sysadmin... (my bad)

This clobbered every default schema declaration in every database on this server instance.

-----------

--Here is my syntax where I had previously/ erroneously done the next line

--EXEC sys.sp_Addsrvrolemember @loginame = N'TestR', @rolename = N'sysadmin';

---

---Here is what I did to correct the issue.

Use Master

go

Exec sp_Changedbowner 'sa' --- This blogs solution followed by the next command

go

EXEC sys.sp_DROPsrvrolemember @loginame = N'TestR', @rolename = N'sysadmin';

---

Once done, the command, "select * from XMA.." , revealed the default schema of ‘APP’ in the XMA database, it was as if this server level Role was completely overriding/masking my lower user level actions.

Again Many Thanks, A BIG Lesson learned !!!

Hank Freeman

Senior SQL Server DBA/Data & Systems Architect

End.

🙂

Hank Freeman
    Senior SQL Server DBA / Data & Solutions Architect
    hfreeman@msn.com
    678-414-0090 (Personal Cell)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply