Unable to deallocate a kept page?

• Does anyone have any insights on this error: "Unable to deallocate a kept page. [SQLSTATE HY000] (Error 831)"

I get the error on jobs that usually succeed just fine.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I am facing this same issue. I am facing it when executing stored procedures. It does happen randomly though.

Anyone has any input on this?

• ok I was able to get a resolution on this issue.

It is supposedly a bug in SQL Server 2005 engine. Microsoft has fixed this problem and it will be in SP2 when it is released. However I do not know the schedule of this release.

The issue went away on its own on my server but experts recommend that you can also deal with it by re-starting SQL.

Hope this helps

• Where did you find this resolution?  In an article somewhere? Please share...

Thanks for your help!

• I am having the same trouble. Any updates on this topic. I have the latest service pack but it still get the error randomly.

• I can't say that I've experienced this problem, but has any of you tried DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS OR DBCC FREESYSTEMCACHE ?

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• The stored procs does not use any cursors. It uses #temp tables other than that there are no major reasons to fill up the memory. The server has tons of memory. Any help? I'll buy you lunch.

• I have the same issue on 2005 SP1 2153. Has anyone tracked down an article or bug no?

• This is the first time I have got this message.  It happened on backup job that completed successfully.  I am running SP2.  Any further comments on this?

• This has just occured to one of our databases that is log shipped. We too are running SQL 2005 SP2 (9.0.3054).  I was able to just do a Transaction Log restore with the next log file and things are running OK so far.

• We haven't had the message since my last post but given this is prod and there are very large databases on this server I really would like to know why this is happening so if it has the potential to damage something I know how to fix it or what would be better to prevent damage occuring in the first place.  Any more comments for a resolve?

• I just got this error for the first time on a large production system.

Msg 831, Sev 20, State 1, Line 2 : Unable to deallocate a kept page. [SQLSTATE HY000]

It happened during a DBCC shrinkfile operation, and caused the agent job to fail. I am already at SP2, so that is clearly not the solution. No joy from Microsoft on this one yet.

• This appears to be a bug in SQL Server 2005 SP2. Here is a link to M/S support for the hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949199

• I would hope M/S has covered this in SP3.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply