Unable to connect using sql server name but connects thru ip address

• Hi,

I tried a lot searching for issue but could not find anything closer to my issue.

when trying to create replication, it requires the connection to be in actual server name. however after finding the server name (sp_helpserver) i am able to connect in the localhost but if i try the same from a different computer it says host not found

Please help.. 🙁

• sounds like a networking issue with the WINS(Windows Internet Name Service)

are you on a network with a primary domain controller providing that service, or just happen to be on a network with a workgroup or just the same IP range orsomething like that?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Looks like you may need to have a chat with your network admin.

You are either using host files or DNS on your network. When you enter a computer or server name, the host file or DNS Server will look up that computer name and translate it to the correct IP address. If you can connect using IP but not the name, then chances are the server either isn't set up in the host file or DNS OR the server name is misspelled.

As a side note - if you have a flaky domain that causes many issues with drops and authentication issues, using the IP address instead of the servername resolves a lot of this since you are bypassing DNS. Not the best solution, but it keeps angry app users out of your hair.

• Hi lowell, its on a corporate domain ( not a workgroup )

with any server, connection thru IP address is successfull but thru server name it keeps failing

• I agree with you emlynar72, infact using ip had saved me lot of times.

However, creating a replication is troubling me now..

• try to ping the server using the machine name. If you are unable to ping, its a DNS issue.

besides IP, you can also use FQDN to connect.

• Hey Rockie,

I tried FQDN, its the same.

I am able to connect through SSMS but when i try creating a replication, it fails.

Also i am able to ping the server name

Any idea please?

• Have you checked to make sure network pipes are turned on for the replication server?

• Hi there,

try adding the entry on your host file

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply