Unable to connect to Report Server

• I am new to SQL2008. I installed the Express Edition and it runs fine. However, I am having difficulty connecting to the Reporting Services. When I go to Reporting Services Configuration Manager and enter the server name, which is: (local)\SQLEXPRESS, I get an error message stating the following: Unable to connect to the Report Server WMI Provider.

Details: The RPC Server is unavailable. Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA

Can someone please tell me what could be causing this problem?

Thank you

• IN IIS there is two virtual directory placed

1.Reportserver

2.reports

set the logging permission for these two.

may your work done

• Thank you for your reply.

I do not see IIS under "Administrative Tools" console. I'm running Windows XP. Would that mean IIS is not installed on my computer? But I am able to run SQL server database engine and Microsoft Visual Web Developer (ASP.net) on the same machine.

I went to my root directory and found Inetpub, but it's not in the Administrative tools area of the Control Panel.

I would appreciate any insight on resolving this problem.

Thank you

• SQLRNewbie (11/25/2009)

Thank you for your reply.

I do not see IIS under "Administrative Tools" console. I'm running Windows XP. Would that mean IIS is not installed on my computer? But I am able to run SQL server database engine and Microsoft Visual Web Developer (ASP.net) on the same machine.

I went to my root directory and found Inetpub, but it's not in the Administrative tools area of the Control Panel.

I would appreciate any insight on resolving this problem.

Thank you

If you are not in XP home you need your Windows install CD to use IIS, go to Add/Remove programs in control panel and choose Windows component and you will see IIS and choose it and it will ask for your Windows CD to extract the file. You should also know Reporting Services 2008 does not require IIS but I am not sure about how the Toolkit which you use to create reports works in 2008. The toolkit comes with the SQL Server Express Advanced services. Here is a link with a lot of information about SQL Server 2008 Express including the Advanced Services if you need it.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t303972.html

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi, thank you for your response

Yes I am running Windows XP Home. What does that mean for me?

My version of SQL 2008 Expression edition was downloaded from the Microsoft website.

Thank you

• SQLRNewbie (11/25/2009)

Hi, thank you for your response

Yes I am running Windows XP Home. What does that mean for me?

My version of SQL 2008 Expression edition was downloaded from the Microsoft website.

Thank you

Check the link below for the Report Viewer addin for VWD 2008 see if you can use it because XP home comes without IIS.

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/adlaim/archive/2008/12/27/report-viewer-for-visual-web-developer-express.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi.

I think you can refer to the url below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159797.aspx

Regards,

becklery.

RAQ Report: Web-based Excel-like Java reporting tool[/url]

• You need to stop it this person is in XP home which comes without IIS 5.5 so your link is not relevant. That tells me you are not trying to help.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply