Unable to complete login

• Hi there,

I have a batch file which loads data into SQL Server 2005 SP2. The batch file calls a worker batch file about 30 times using the START command (i.e. so that they are all running at the same time). The worker batch file accepts a table name as a param and bulk loads some data in. About 50% of the time I am getting the following error from bcp:

SQLState = 08001, NativeError = 0

Error = [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Unable to complete login process due to delay in opening server connection

I'm not sure what's causing this. Anyone have any ideas? Is it simply because I am "overloading" SQL Server? Incidentally it also happens on another process I have which bulk exports using bcp within batch files. I get the exact same error.

Cheers!

• Is it possible it's a concurrency issue?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Well each parallel bcp operation is bulk copying data from a different table, so I don't think it's that. To me it sounds like a contention for server resources - however I thought SQL Server was more robust than that. Any other ideas people?

• Hi There,

You can try to set the remote login time to 120 seconds.

EXEC sys.sp_configure N'remote login timeout (s)', N'120'

GO

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

• Thanks, that didn't work either. Curiously, I seem to get the error message before the remote login timeout period has elapsed. Perhaps this setting doesn't apply to bcp? I looked for a login timeout setting on the bcp program, but didn't find one. Is there something I can do in the SQL Native Client perhaps?

• Disable the Windows Firewall/ICS service and stop it.

• Hello to all,

Was there ever a resolution to this issue? I ask because we are seeing the same error message with our SQL 2008. Error message:

SQLState = 08001, NativeError = 0

Error = [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Unable to complete login process due to delay in opening server connection

We have a bcp command running on App Server and the command is passed to the SQL Server but then returns the error. We notice one job would fail at the same time every morning but other jobs would fail randomly during the day.

Here's the kicker. When we moved the time of the morning job, the error was resolved; however, the other errors happen at random times.

Thanks in advance.

• Leo,

Please post your problem to the 2008 forum. You will likely get better help there than in the 2005 forum.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply