two servers same query huge diffrence

• Hi,

Please could I have some advice I am running a query on the live node of a cluster it takes well over an hour to run even at a quite ish time when CPU is bellow 50% memory disk queues all normal. But when I run it the other node it take less than a minute.

I know it would probably take longer on the live due to having users on but not that much longer, there is no blocking why is there such a huge differences.

Many thanks

• Do the two databases have the same amount of data on them? Do you rebuild your indexes and update your statistics regularly? Have you compared the execution plans on each server?

John

• I don't have any experience with clusters, but it sounds like to each node has its own plan cached for the query. Try executing it on the slower node with the RECOMPILE option.

• Edward (4/25/2008)

Hi,

Please could I have some advice I am running a query on the live node of a cluster it takes well over an hour to run even at a quite ish time when CPU is bellow 50% memory disk queues all normal. But when I run it the other node it take less than a minute.

I know it would probably take longer on the live due to having users on but not that much longer, there is no blocking why is there such a huge differences.

Many thanks

What clustering technology are you using? A windows cluster would be active/passive, so the only node "seeing" the databases and running the database service would be the "active" one (unless you have some kind of mirroring setup, etc...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Please post the query plans for both.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Keep in mind that a cluster shares the disk, so it shouldn't be IO, however you should be sure that your connections (SCSI or SAN fabrics) are set the same. I'd check that early to be sure that you're not chasing something else.

The two machines are running two separate instances of SQL Server and essentially hand off the shared pieces (databases, jobs, etc.). I wouldn't think that different server settings would be allowed, but I supposed if you connected to one of the instances (not the virtual), you might be able to change something.

Does it work fast if you failover? Is that how you're testing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply