Turn off logging

• How can I turn off logging during load and updating records in a datawarehouse? I have a few procedures which let the tempdb grow to 5 gb. The systems slows down and works hours to update an table. I have the impression that turning off logging and rollback options could speed up significantly.

Is that correct and how can I turn off all logging?

Menno van Leewen

• If you mean turning off logging through the transaction log - no. Not possible. All activity is "logged" (meaning the changes are put into the log FIRST, then flushed/applied to the DB).

You should probably take a look at the various recovery models and decide what's best for you. You may also look into breaking things into smaller, more manageable chunks that don't make your TempDB "bloat". On the other hand- you may just set your TempDB to a large starting size, since you seem to use it a lot. Not making it have to grow while doing all of this loading should help your performance tremendously.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Alter Database [FUBAR ] Set Recovery Simple

Alter Database [FUBAR ] Set Recovery Full

Note: As Adam was saying, use with caution! You can easily shoot yourself in the foot with this.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Hi Matt,

I want to try to set the temp DB to a larger start size. How can I do that?

Menno

• Hi Barry,

The recovery model is already set to simple. Do you have additional options in mind?

Menno

• You can use SQL Server Enterprise Manager to right-click on tempdb and change its starting size.

As Matt suggested, break your transactions into smaller chunks. If you are using simple recovery model and have small transactions then your transaction log needn't grow so much as the log data will be flushed and the space reused.

Also, you mentioned that tempDB was growing quite large. Perhaps you're doing some very large joins that may also require a sort? You can look at your query plans to see if there are hash joins or sort operators. If that's the case you could try to break your complex joins, etc into several statements with the output of each statement going to a temp table. If nothing else this may help you simplify your logic and is a nice place to put a pair of

BEGIN TRANSACTION

and

COMMIT TRANSACTION

statements around each chunk of code.

• M.van Leewen (3/10/2008)

Hi Matt,

I want to try to set the temp DB to a larger start size. How can I do that?

Menno

It would look something like this:

Alter DATABASE [tempdb]

MODIFY file ( NAME = N'temp', SIZE = 1512000KB,, MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 256000KB)

MODIFY file ( NAME = N'templog', SIZE = 1512000KB,, MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 256000KB)

set your file sizes accordingly (if you say yours grows to 5GB - then set it to 6+), and make sure to set up your growth factors as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• M.van Leewen (3/10/2008)

Hi Barry,

The recovery model is already set to simple. Do you have additional options in mind?

Menno

Nope. That was it.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Yes... there are... just setting recovery model to SIMPLE doesn't stop logging for loading of data. You have to use BCP or BULK INSERT or SELECT/INTO and your target table has to meet certain criteria for the logging to be supressed even then. It's all in Books Online... take a peek at the "Fast Load" options for BCP and Bulk Insert or the "Logged and Nonlogged Bulk Copies" in Books Online..

There's nothing you can do to suppress logging for UPDATES/INSERTS/DELETES. The logs just won't stay active for long and the LDF files won't get real large if you break mega-row UPDATES/INSERTS/DELETES into smaller chunks as some have already suggested. You do need to make sure that "Truncate Log On Checkpoint" is turned on... again, check Books Online for that information.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks Ian, This is the case. I use large queries with complex joins. I connect them to look up values and depending on the value change record status. These queries are made in as views and called upon in DTS. I do not use SP's and there are no begin and end's. I think your tip point the current tech weak point in my warehouse. It is successfull and growing fast but the tech model is not yet setup for the scale.

Work to do....

Menno

• OK thanks Matt.

• Thanks Jeff,

I have the auto shrink on. I will check if the "truncate log on checkpoint" is on. Is it to find in the settings or do I have to use an alter table and a specific command? The problem is not in the loads and inserts. I drop all constraints before loading which has speed up the loads significantly and create the constraints afterward to gard the integrity. The problem is in complex joins which checking a facttable and changing the status depending on the result.

I have to break down the procedure in smaller chunks and write some SP's with begin and ends with commits in it but never done this before.

Menno

• I have the auto shrink on. I

That's probably one of the worst things you can do... you are fragmenting the database and fragmenting the physical files on disk. Everytime it grows, the database must wait and then you turn around and shrink it. Never ending cycle of pain for the users and the database.

Trunc. Log On Checkpoint is a database option.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• My apologies... I just remembered something and I verified it in Books Online... you don't need to set Trunc. Log On Checkpoint because the SIMPLE recovery mode does it for you...

From Books Online:

Note This model is similar to setting the trunc. log on chkpt. database option in Microsoft® SQL Server™ version 7.0 or earlier.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Hello Ian,

This is the view: Update_Factsdossiers_Maatregelen_financieringsstatus

SELECT dbo.DimAdmincode.Bedrijfstype,

dbo.FactsDossiers.Admincode,

dbo.FactsDossiers.Kengetal AS Referentiekengetal,

dbo.FactsDossiers.Samenloop AS Samenloopdossier,

dbo.Filter_datum_Tijdpunten.Datum AS Referentiedatum,

dbo.Filter_datum_Tijdpunten.DagBoekjaar AS ReferentieBoekjaar,

dbo.Filter_datum_Tijdpunten.DagPeriode AS Referentieperiode,

FactsDossiers_1.Kengetal AS updatetargetkengetal,

FactsDossiers_1.Samenloop AS Samenloopmaatregel,

Filter_datum_Tijdpunten_1.Datum AS Updatedatum,

Filter_datum_Tijdpunten_1.DagBoekjaar AS UpdateBoekjaar,

Filter_datum_Tijdpunten_1.DagPeriode AS Updateperiode,

Filter_datum_Tijdpunten_1.DagMaandnaam AS Updatemaand

FROM dbo.FactsDossiers INNER JOIN

dbo.FactsDossiers FactsDossiers_1 ON dbo.FactsDossiers.Admincode = FactsDossiers_1.Admincode AND

dbo.FactsDossiers.Klantcode = FactsDossiers_1.Klantcode AND dbo.FactsDossiers.Documentnummer = FactsDossiers_1.Documentnummer AND

dbo.FactsDossiers.Documenttype = FactsDossiers_1.Documenttype AND

dbo.FactsDossiers.DocumentProductcode = FactsDossiers_1.DocumentProductcode INNER JOIN

dbo.DimAdmincode ON dbo.FactsDossiers.Admincode = dbo.DimAdmincode.Admincode AND

FactsDossiers_1.Admincode = dbo.DimAdmincode.Admincode INNER JOIN

dbo.Filter_datum_Tijdpunten Filter_datum_Tijdpunten_1 ON FactsDossiers_1.Datum = Filter_datum_Tijdpunten_1.Datum INNER JOIN

dbo.Filter_datum_Tijdpunten ON dbo.FactsDossiers.Datum = dbo.Filter_datum_Tijdpunten.Datum AND

Filter_datum_Tijdpunten_1.DagBoekjaar = dbo.Filter_datum_Tijdpunten.DagBoekjaar AND

Filter_datum_Tijdpunten_1.DagPeriode = dbo.Filter_datum_Tijdpunten.DagPeriode

WHERE (dbo.DimAdmincode.Bedrijfstype = N'BJZ')

AND (dbo.FactsDossiers.Samenloop <> N'nb')

AND (FactsDossiers_1.Kengetal <> N'indicatiebesluit')

AND (FactsDossiers_1.Kengetal <> N'eersteindicatiebesluit')

And the following procedure is performed in DTS

UPDATE Update_Factsdossiers_Maatregelen_financieringsstatus

SET Samenloopmaatregel = Samenloopdossier

WHERE

(Referentiekengetal = N'inzorg') AND (updatetargetkengetal

= N'nieuwemaatregelen')

Menno

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply