TSQL Question

• I'm trying to combine multiple records that contain numerous different charge codes into 1 record that sums up total hours and dollars by charge code.

Here's a sample

dept        job code       charge code          hrs worked             dollars

1111        8110              NPO                       40.00                1600.00

1111        8110              REG  E                   40.00                500.00

1111        8110              REG  N                   60.00                600.00

1111        8110              PRO                       20.00                500.00

1111        8110              OVT                      30.00                400.00

1111        8110              HOL                       40.00                300.00

1111        8110              SICK                       8.00                300.00

1111        8110              JURY                       8.00                300.00

1111        8110              VAC                       40.00                300.00

In my example the first for records are regular hrs, the last 5 are other hrs...

So the charge code is different even though they are classified as regular or other hours...

I want to combine (sum) all these records by code into one line that looks like this:

dept, job code, reg hrs,  other hrs, reg $$,    other $$$

1111, 8110,     160.00,   126.00,    3200.00,     1600.00

How would I do that. I'm trying to figure out a case statement..

Thanks,

• Try this out

SELECT [Dept],

[Job Code],

SUM(CASE WHEN [Charge Code] IN ('NPO','REG E','HOL','VAC') THEN [Hrs Worked] ELSE 0 END) AS RegHours,

SUM(CASE WHEN [Charge Code] IN ('NPO','REG E','HOL','VAC') THEN [Dollars] ELSE 0 END) AS RegDollars,

SUM(CASE WHEN [Charge Code] IN ('REG N','PRO','OVT','SICK','JURY') THEN [Hrs Worked] ELSE 0 END) AS OthHours, 

SUM(CASE WHEN [Charge Code] IN ('REG N','PRO','OVT','SICK','JURY') THEN [Dollars] ELSE 0 END) AS OthDollars 

FROM tbl

GROUP BY [Dept],[Job Code]

Ram

• Ram,

First off, thanks for the help. The only problem I still have in your example is when the code meets the "IN" criteria, I want it to sum up all the hours into either the regular or other bucket. Your example sums up hours by each code (REG, REG E, REG N), I tried to put another sum in your example, but it was a no go. Does that make sense?

• As I see it the query is good you just need to change the *in* as you needed.

ex:

SELECT [Dept],

[Job Code],

SUM(CASE WHEN [Charge Code] IN ('NPO','REG E','REG N','PRO') THEN [Hrs Worked] ELSE 0 END) AS RegHours,

SUM(CASE WHEN [Charge Code] IN ('NPO','REG E','REG N','PRO') THEN [Dollars] ELSE 0 END) AS RegDollars,

SUM(CASE WHEN [Charge Code] IN ('OVT','HOL','SICK','JURY','VAC') THEN [Hrs Worked] ELSE 0 END) AS OthHours,

SUM(CASE WHEN [Charge Code] IN ('OVT','HOL','SICK','JURY','VAC') THEN [Dollars] ELSE 0 END) AS OthDollars

FROM tbl

GROUP BY [Dept],[Job Code]

* Noel

• You may want to make a reference table for the possible code selections, (or if you have one, add another column) and you can select from that table inside the () parameters of the IN clause...

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply