TSQL

• Hi,

Can any one help me please?

I need to take the text between first two dates for every record. ..the date format entered by user may be any format..

For Example:

I have a record as

25/08/2008 Karin.Kapaun:ne 13/06/2008 Elisabeth.Hager: Karin: möchte erst 2010 reisen

The Output should be

Karin.Kapaun:ne

Thanks

anitha

• If there are always spaces after the first date and before the second date (and no spaces inbetween) you should be able to do something like:

SELECT SUBSTRING(myColumn, CHARINDEX(' ', myColumn, 1) + 1, CHARINDEX(' ', myColumn, CHARINDEX(' ', myColumn) + 1) - CHARINDEX(' ', myColumn))

FROM myTable

Basically this code looks for the first space and then the second and substrings the difference between the two.

HTH,

Ade

A Freudian Slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
    For detail-enriched answers, ask detail-enriched questions...[/url]

• Hi Adrian

Thanks for the query.

Can you please tell me how to modify the query if there is no space between the data and text.. since some of the records don't have spaces between?

Thanks,

Anitha

• Before I can do that you've said that the user may enter any date format, do you mean that it can be anything like dd/mm/yyyy, dd-mm-yyyy etc. Can you give some more examples of the date formats they use?

Ade

• Hi Adrian,

Sorry to not mentioning the date format before.

The different formats present in table are

11/9

11/9/

11/09/2008

Thanks in advance

Anitha

• Okay, no problem.

This SUBSTRING statement looks for the first alphabetic (a to z) character for a starting point; and the first alphabetic character (or space) followed by a numeric (assumed to be the start of the second date string.

SELECT myColumn,

SUBSTRING (myColumn, PATINDEX('%[A-Za-z]%', myColumn), PATINDEX('%[ A-Z][0-9]%', myCOlumn) - PATINDEX('%[A-Za-z]%', myColumn))

FROM myTable

Ade

• I am not sure.

But from Regular Expression in sql server 2005

U can archive that task.:)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply