Trying to use variables in a view.

• Hi,

I want to use a variable in a view.so i created a stored procedure and in that i have created a view .but, when i used the variable ina view and try to execute the procedure.

i am getting the error :

Must declare the scalar variable "@a".

• the error tells what the issue is, but it might be a little new to you for debugging these kinds of issues.

to really help; we'd have to see the code for the stored procedure; anything else we did would just be syntax guessing, which might just confuse everyone even more.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Try using dynamic SQL to concatinate the variable into your view. I assume you do not want the variable to be created as part of the view rather whatever the variables value is to be created in the view.

• As Lowell said, providing the code will allow us to help you refactor it or tell you a better way to go... but barring that:

You can't use variables in a view. Instead of putting the 'create view' inside of a stored procedure, just use the variables in the stored procedure and do the select and don't create the view at all.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• I would try creating a table function instead of a view since you want to pass parameters; there are some limitations on what can be done in a function: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186755.aspx

• itskumar2004 (4/26/2010)

Hi,

I want to use a variable in a view.so i created a stored procedure and in that i have created a view .but, when i used the variable ina view and try to execute the procedure.

i am getting the error :

Must declare the scalar variable "@a".

Ummm.... why don't you just do a SELECT from the view with the correct WHERE clause? You don't need to add a variable to a view...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply