Trying to SUM on an alias field

• The query I am working on should show whether or not a different SHIP_TO state was used or if the customer's default address was used. It's a little garbled as the DB is complex. My base query works but what I would like in the end is to get total sales by STATE shipped to, using the SUM function. Unfortunately, GROUP BY will not let me group on an alias.

Here's the base query:

SELECT     RECEIVABLE.TOTAL_AMOUNT, COUNT_STATE =

CASE

WHEN CUST_ADDRESS.STATE IS NULL THEN CUSTOMER.STATE

ELSE CUST_ADDRESS.STATE

END

FROM         SHIPPER_LINE LEFT OUTER JOIN

SHIPPER ON SHIPPER_LINE.PACKLIST_ID = SHIPPER.PACKLIST_ID RIGHT OUTER JOIN

RECEIVABLE_LINE ON SHIPPER_LINE.PACKLIST_ID = RECEIVABLE_LINE.PACKLIST_ID AND

SHIPPER_LINE.LINE_NO = RECEIVABLE_LINE.PACKLIST_LINE_NO RIGHT OUTER JOIN

RECEIVABLE ON RECEIVABLE_LINE.INVOICE_ID = RECEIVABLE.INVOICE_ID RIGHT OUTER JOIN

CUSTOMER ON RECEIVABLE.CUSTOMER_ID = CUSTOMER.ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

CUST_ADDRESS ON CUSTOMER.ID = CUST_ADDRESS.CUSTOMER_ID AND SHIPPER.SHIP_TO_ADDR_NO = CUST_ADDRESS.ADDR_NO

WHERE     (RECEIVABLE.INVOICE_DATE >= CONVERT(DATETIME, '2004-01-01 00:00:00', 102) AND RECEIVABLE.INVOICE_DATE <= CONVERT(DATETIME,

'2004-08-01 00:00:00', 102))

I would like to SUM RECEIVABLE.TOTAL_AMOUNT and GROUP BY COUNT_STATE. I found a snip saying to use a sub query but am not sure how to apply this advice.

Your comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Sean Wyatt
    seanwyatt.com

• You should be able to just do a GROUP BY CUST_ADDRESS.STATE

Have you tried that?

Kindest Regards,

• You should be able to just do a GROUP BY CUST_ADDRESS.STATE

Have you tried that?

Kindest Regards,

• I think the point is as simple as :

select ISNULL(CUST_ADDRESS.STATE, CUSTOMER.STATE), sum(RECEIVABLE.TOTAL_AMOUNT)

from ...

group by ISNULL(CUST_ADDRESS.STATE, CUSTOMER.STATE)

???

• Yep. All of the expressions not used in aggregate functions need to be in the group by clause.

• Option 1

Use derived table. Just enclose your main query in parenthesis and use it in a FROM clause of the GROUP BY query. You MUST specify alias for derived table.

SELECT COUNT_STATE,

SUM(TOTAL_AMOUNT)

FROM (SELECT   RECEIVABLE.TOTAL_AMOUNT, 

COUNT_STATE = ISNULL(CUST_ADDRESS.STATE, CUSTOMER.STATE)

FROM  SHIPPER_LINE LEFT OUTER JOIN

SHIPPER ON SHIPPER_LINE.PACKLIST_ID = SHIPPER.PACKLIST_ID RIGHT OUTER JOIN

RECEIVABLE_LINE ON SHIPPER_LINE.PACKLIST_ID = RECEIVABLE_LINE.PACKLIST_ID AND

SHIPPER_LINE.LINE_NO = RECEIVABLE_LINE.PACKLIST_LINE_NO RIGHT OUTER JOIN

RECEIVABLE ON RECEIVABLE_LINE.INVOICE_ID = RECEIVABLE.INVOICE_ID RIGHT OUTER JOIN

CUSTOMER ON RECEIVABLE.CUSTOMER_ID = CUSTOMER.ID LEFT OUTER JOIN

CUST_ADDRESS ON CUSTOMER.ID = CUST_ADDRESS.CUSTOMER_ID AND SHIPPER.SHIP_TO_ADDR_NO = CUST_ADDRESS.ADDR_NO

WHERE  (RECEIVABLE.INVOICE_DATE >= CONVERT(DATETIME, '2004-01-01 00:00:00', 102)

AND RECEIVABLE.INVOICE_DATE <= CONVERT(DATETIME, '2004-08-01 00:00:00', 102))) a

GROUP BY COUNT_STATE

Option 2

Use GROUP BY ISNULL(CUST_ADDRESS.STATE, CUSTOMER.STATE) in the original query

• First option:

Make 1st view and in that view calculate COUNT_STATE. Then write the 2nd view on top of the 1st view and here you can do your GROUP by clause on COUNT_STATE.

2nd Option:

Write a UDF like GetCountSTATE(CUST_ADDRESS.STATE) and do the case statement in that UDF. Then you can do the GROUP BY on GetCountSTATE(CUST_ADDRESS.STATE).

• Perfect!

ISNULL was the option I was looking for, the same as an IIF in VB. I also did not know that you had to have the whole ISNULL phrase in the GROUP BY statement.

Thank you Jean-Pierre and all other reponders! This solution makes my project so much easier.

Kindest Regards,

Sean Wyatt
    seanwyatt.com

• The syntax above (ISNULL) is simplier than your initial CASE, but you could also use it in the Group by :

Select ...

GROUP BY CASE

WHEN CUST_ADDRESS.STATE IS NULL THEN CUSTOMER.STATE

ELSE CUST_ADDRESS.STATE

END

ciao...

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply