Trying to replicate from SQL 2005 Std to SQL 2008 Express

• I need to roll out data to sales reps laptops that will have SQL Express 2008 on. I am planning to use replication and have hit a snag.

My SQL server is 2005 standard, and although I can get a snapshot publication (I know I can't do merge) from 2005 to a 2005 sub, I am having trouble getting the sub on 2008 express to work. I do not have a SQL 2008 server yet.

Any idea's?

Thanks

Andy

• Hey per the docs below you cannot run Merge Replication in SQL Server Express.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165616(SQL.90).aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks

I finally managed to get the Snapshot working from 2005 to SQL express 2008.

Cheers

Andy:-)

• Gift Peddie (5/12/2009)

Hey per the docs below you cannot run Merge Replication in SQL Server Express.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165616(SQL.90).aspx

The document clearly states that SQL Express can be used as subscriber in merge replication and actually that is a very typical scenario. Sales people having a local copy of the databases on a notebook and when they come to the office they synchronize (merge) with the central server.

You can use 2008 Express as a subscriber to a 2005 standard server. So I would be interested in why the OP can't setup merge replication. Any errors or is it because merge replication would make schema changes to the database?

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• My mistake I actually know Express cannot be a publisher and assumed merge subscription being two way is also not allowed.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• We are currently using Merge Replication with 2008 Server as the publisher and clients running 2008 Express on their laptops. We recently upgraded from 2005 on both ends.

What errors are you encountering setting up the subs?

keith

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply