Trying to open an SSIS Package

• Hi,
    I have inherited a couple of SSIS packages that run in a job on SQL Server. I wanted to look at these packages and  what they  have in them, how they work, and what they do exactly. so I exported them and tried adding them in an SSIS project. but I get the following error, even though they seem to work in Sql Server.
    Any ideas what I can do to open these??

Thank you
    The error message
    Error at {1213ECA6-0523-4249-8520-1FB0E8EBCBE0} []: Unable to load the package as XML because of package does not have a valid XML format. A specific XML parser error will be posted.

Error at {1213ECA6-0523-4249-8520-1FB0E8EBCBE0} []: Failed to load XML from package file "C:\Users\ed.walsh\Desktop\upkgRefreshValidationDataOnPortal.dtsx" due to error 0xC00CE508 "An invalid character was found in text content. Line 1, Column 3".  This occurs when loading a package and the file cannot be opened or loaded correctly into the XML document. This can be the result of specifying an incorrect file name to the LoadPackage method or the specified XML file has an incorrect format.
  • I've opened a couple packages and looked at the XML, i checked a 2008 and a 2016 package and both start with the same line:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>

what do you see when you open this in notepad?
    I've closely duplicated your error by entering some bogus characters at the top of the XML and then trying to open the package. 

Is it possible the package was encrypted?

• Hi and thanks for the reply.
     just see a lot of stuff like this:
    PK   ^ëL/¢Þ›f  |x  & upkgRefreshValidationDataOnPortal.dtsx ¢ (                      í]ísÚ8ÿ|7sÿƒŽOÏÍ…wHHÜðbZ®y‡ôÚëu:ÂÁ©±]KNBŸ¹ÿýYI0ØI 
    When I open it in note pad. Does that mean it is encrypted?
    Thank you

• yeah feels like it, but not sure. how did you get the package from the server? dtutil.exe or was it on the file system? 
    Also, do you know what version? 2005/2008 or 2012 and higher?

• I right clicked on the project in SQL Server tree on the node marked Intergration services; and exorted it out. I then tried to add it in SSIS.
    The version of SQL server I am using is 2012. And SSIS is in VS 2015.
    Thank you

• so the export gave you an ISPAC file correct? Then did you create the project from that file?

You can do that by creating a new project choose SSIS then pick the new project wizard and specify the ispac deployment file as the source.

Now i did try it with a 2012 ispac into VS2017 and it failed but a 2016 into 2017 works.

Maybe since you are doing 2012 into 2015 it will work.

Unless you did you all that already... then i'm not quite sure why the package is junk, unless it is encrypted, however SSIS would know that.

• Hi,
    Thanks I did not realize that I had to save the file as an  ISPAC file. So thanks to you last post I did it the right way and I go the one open and I am sure the other one will follow.
    Thank You

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply