Trust

• Bert (2/12/2009)

jcrawf02 (2/12/2009)

GSquared (2/12/2009)

Bert (2/12/2009)

GSquared (2/12/2009)

Sounds like we all agree on this, at least on the parts that matter. Now, our job becomes, to convince others to agree. That, my friends, is the fun part, but also the very, very hard part. Will take a lot of work.

Agreed. And this is where "religious" wars tend to spring up, so I'll be careful.

AND, I appreciate everyone's indulgance.:)

We could go to war with each other, but I just can't work up any enthusiasm for it right now. Maybe next week. I have a couple of openings in my calendar. Is next Tuesday afternoon good for you? 🙂

No good, ruins my nap. And shouldn't that be "fervor", not "enthusiasm", in this context?

😛

Tuesday's good for me. Maybe we could start now and you could join us later? What's the address? I'll attack first. Oh, and could one you spot me bus fare?

Hmmm... now I just need the address of someone I really dislike... I'll have to get back to you on that one. 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Bert (2/12/2009)

jcrawf02 (2/12/2009)

Bert (2/12/2009)

I've intentionally held back here because I've been blasted on this forum before. But since you asked, here goes. While I'm not a Scientologist, nor would I advocate it, GSquared is correct and history will bear us out; when we use ourselves as a measure of success, we fail. There must be a standard set by "someone" or "something" greater than ourselves (NOT GOVERNMENT) to which we are obligated to follow. Otherwise, this discussion is folly.

So if we can't follow ourselves, and we can't follow government, other than advocating that everyone follow a particular religion (which I am not implying that Gsquared is doing, just trying to hypothesize something greater than ourselves), who is setting the standard that we are obligated to follow?

Again, at the risk of exposing myself; I will say God. While I do, in the secular venacular, have a preference for "which God", I won't advocate one here. My experience has been, and again history will bear me out, that if an INDIVIDUAL genuinely seeks God, whether they find MY God or "another" god, they tend to live a more ethical life. We can all site exceptions to this statement but these exceptions are historically a small minority leaving the rest of us a vast majority and thus a more ethical society.

Had to comment on this post. It depends on ones god. If ones "God" is money, will the live a more ethical life? Religion, philisophy, what ever you want to look at to establish a guideline. I am not a relativist, I think they are naive. To me there is a strict right and wrong, but sometimes doing what is wrong can be justified, for instance self-defense.

• I regard God as an external manifestation of the human desire to aspire to be better than we are.

As long as there is a worthwhile target that is within our reach but beyond our grasp then we continue to move forwards.

It doesn't matter if you are talking about metaphysical or metadata the search to improve oneself by ethical means is something that the religious can call finding God and the non-religious can call common-sense.

• David.Poole (2/12/2009)

I regard God as an external manifestation of the human desire to aspire to be better than we are.

As long as there is a worthwhile target that is within our reach but beyond our grasp then we continue to move forwards.

It doesn't matter if you are talking about metaphysical or metadata the search to improve oneself by ethical means is something that the religious can call finding God and the non-religious can call common-sense.

Where were you when this discussion began? You could have saved us all a lot of pontification!

• Bert (2/13/2009)

David.Poole (2/12/2009)

I regard God as an external manifestation of the human desire to aspire to be better than we are.

Where were you when this discussion began? You could have saved us all a lot of pontification!

Hanging on to a bucket cursing the Oh God of food poisoning:sick:

• Looking at the mailbox in the blog post mentioned, I wonder how well it would stand up to the rural sport of "mailbox bashing".

Living in a rural neighborhood, I have had my mailbox destroyed a few times. The last time I replaced it with this model (Postmaster Ironsides Rural Mailbox) http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=155155-000001518-MB 801B-04&lpage=none. Within days after I put up the new mailbox, when I got the mail out, my wife asked "Is that a smudge on the mailbox?" I went back to the box and it looked like it took an impact. I looked down at the ground and found a hammer.

I mailed a check off a few months ago but the person never received it. Since then, I have been taking checks to the Post Office for mailing.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply