Truncate rollback

• Ninja's_RGR'us (4/23/2010)

That's an interesting theory, care to script it out and prove it?

I'm not sure my theory is that interesting, I suspect that I just misunderstood what Hugo was saying - but here's a script illustrating my point, anyway:

--Tiny DB created in the default folder, default collation, etc, set to 10% autogrow - terrible

-- for performance & fragmentation, but we're doing this for testing only. Don't try this at home kids!

-- (also, don't create databases in the root of your system drive, or even allow the SQL Service account access to it!)

CREATE DATABASE SimpleTestDB

ON PRIMARY (NAME = SimpleTestDB_Data, FILENAME = 'C:\SimpleTestDB_Data.mdb', SIZE = 2, MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 10%)

LOG ON (NAME = SimpleTestDB_Log, FILENAME = 'C:\SimpleTestDB_Data.ldb', SIZE = 1, MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 10%)

GO

--Not sure what the default is, let's set it anyway.

ALTER DATABASE SimpleTestDB

SET RECOVERY FULL

GO

USE SimpleTestDB

GO

--Confirm the file sizes (in Pages):

SELECT name, filename, size FROM sysfiles

GO

--Quickly generate dummy data, let's use existing structures to accumulate data relatively fast

-- (Might as well use a heap, we will never query; again, not at home kids!)

-- (Took about 4 minutes to create 300 MB of data on a pretty-low-spec test server)

SET NOCOUNT ON

SELECT * INTO JunkData FROM master.dbo.sysobjects

DECLARE @DataInsertIterationCounter Int

SET @DataInsertIterationCounter = 0

WHILE @DataInsertIterationCounter < 1000

BEGIN

INSERT INTO JunkData SELECT * FROM master.dbo.sysobjects

SET @DataInsertIterationCounter = @DataInsertIterationCounter + 1

END

SET NOCOUNT OFF

GO

--Confirm the new file sizes

GO

--Truncate the transaction log - (kids, you know the drill)

CHECKPOINT

BACKUP LOG SimpleTestDB WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

GO

--Shrink the logfile so that we can see the effect of truncating the table

DBCC SHRINKFILE (SimpleTestDB_Log)

GO

--Confirm the logfile is back to being tiny:

GO

--Back up the DB so that we actually can do a transaction log backup later:

BACKUP DATABASE SimpleTestDB TO DISK = 'C:\SimpleTestDB_Pre-Truncate_Full_Backup_(Junk).BAK'

GO

--Truncate the table - this is the cool bit - takes only a sec to "delete" (deallocate?) all that data!

TRUNCATE TABLE JunkData

GO

--Confirm the logfile still tiny despite the table truncation:

GO

--Actually back up the transaction log

CHECKPOINT

BACKUP LOG SimpleTestDB

TO DISK = 'C:\SimpleTestDB_Post-Truncate_Log_Backup.TRN'

GO

--Check the size of the transaction log backup file

--SQL 2000 or earlier

exec xp_getfiledetails 'C:\SimpleTestDB_Post-Truncate_Log_Backup.TRN'

--OR if your server allows xp_cmdshell

exec master..xp_cmdshell 'dir c:\SimpleTestDB_Post-Truncate_Log_Backup.TRN'

--OR otherwise - go look up the size of the file :)

GO

--Clean Up

DROP DATABASE SimpleTestDB

--Remember to delete the 300-MB DB backup file and the stray transaction log backup file too! (manually, sorry, I'm not going to rely on the presence of xp_cmdshell)

The transaction log backup file is tiny - the fact that the pages have been deallocated is presumably logged (a list of page references?), but the pages themselves are not backed up to the transaction log (or transaction log backup) file.

http://poorsql.com for T-SQL formatting: free as in speech, free as in beer, free to run in SSMS or on your version control server - free however you want it.

• Always good to see this question - the myth that TRUNCATE TABLE is non-logged (and so cannot be rolled back) is a persistent one.

Quite clever using 2008-only syntax too - which largely defeats the 'run it then answer' crowd.

Complaining that the INSERT syntax is invalid sounds like sour grapes to me 😛

• Tao Klerks (4/23/2010)

Hugo Kornelis (4/23/2010)

The log file will contain only the fact that page so-and-so was deallocated, but the log backup (if one is taken) will also include a copy of that page.

I'm not sure whether I'm misunderstanding you, but to my mind this makes no sense (and does not correspond to my practical experience)

I believe Hugo is confusing the logging behaviour of TRUNCATE TABLE with the behaviour of minimally-logged data changes under the BULK_LOGGED recovery model.

The allocation unit deallocations performed by TRUNCATE TABLE (whether or not these are deferred and performed asynchronously on a background thread) do not change data - so BCM bits are not set, and the affected pages are not included in the next log backup.

All that needs to be logged for full recoverability is the fact that the allocation units were deallocated. See Tracking Modified Extents for details of how SQL Server uses the Bulk Changed Map, and the impact on transaction log backups.

Paul

• Paul White NZ (4/24/2010)

Always good to see this question - the myth that TRUNCATE TABLE is non-logged (and so cannot be rolled back) is a persistent one.

Quite clever using 2008-only syntax too - which largely defeats the 'run it then answer' crowd.

Complaining that the INSERT syntax is invalid sounds like sour grapes to me 😛

Ya this made it like a 1-2 punch in this one... I feel that most people who complained about it had a chance to learn 2 things (and yes I do see your POV). Now I can't do a darn thing if they didn't learn and just want to whine about it ;-). Anyhow I still feel this question gave the intended results... make peope think & learn and start a nice conversation about the topic.

• Tao Klerks (4/23/2010)

Ninja's_RGR'us (4/23/2010)

That's an interesting theory, care to script it out and prove it?

I'm not sure my theory is that interesting, I suspect that I just misunderstood what Hugo was saying - but here's a script illustrating my point, anyway:

--Tiny DB created in the default folder, default collation, etc, set to 10% autogrow - terrible

-- for performance & fragmentation, but we're doing this for testing only. Don't try this at home kids!

-- (also, don't create databases in the root of your system drive, or even allow the SQL Service account access to it!)

CREATE DATABASE SimpleTestDB

ON PRIMARY (NAME = SimpleTestDB_Data, FILENAME = 'C:\SimpleTestDB_Data.mdb', SIZE = 2, MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 10%)

LOG ON (NAME = SimpleTestDB_Log, FILENAME = 'C:\SimpleTestDB_Data.ldb', SIZE = 1, MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 10%)

GO

--Not sure what the default is, let's set it anyway.

ALTER DATABASE SimpleTestDB

SET RECOVERY FULL

GO

USE SimpleTestDB

GO

--Confirm the file sizes (in Pages):

GO

--Quickly generate dummy data, let's use existing structures to accumulate data relatively fast

-- (Might as well use a heap, we will never query; again, not at home kids!)

-- (Took about 4 minutes to create 300 MB of data on a pretty-low-spec test server)

SET NOCOUNT ON

SELECT * INTO JunkData FROM master.dbo.sysobjects

DECLARE @DataInsertIterationCounter Int

SET @DataInsertIterationCounter = 0

WHILE @DataInsertIterationCounter < 1000

BEGIN

INSERT INTO JunkData SELECT * FROM master.dbo.sysobjects

SET @DataInsertIterationCounter = @DataInsertIterationCounter + 1

END

SET NOCOUNT OFF

GO

--Confirm the new file sizes

GO

--Truncate the transaction log - (kids, you know the drill)

CHECKPOINT

BACKUP LOG SimpleTestDB WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

GO

--Shrink the logfile so that we can see the effect of truncating the table

DBCC SHRINKFILE (SimpleTestDB_Log)

GO

--Confirm the logfile is back to being tiny:

GO

--Back up the DB so that we actually can do a transaction log backup later:

BACKUP DATABASE SimpleTestDB TO DISK = 'C:\SimpleTestDB_Pre-Truncate_Full_Backup_(Junk).BAK'

GO

--Truncate the table - this is the cool bit - takes only a sec to "delete" (deallocate?) all that data!

TRUNCATE TABLE JunkData

GO

--Confirm the logfile still tiny despite the table truncation:

GO

--Actually back up the transaction log

CHECKPOINT

BACKUP LOG SimpleTestDB

TO DISK = 'C:\SimpleTestDB_Post-Truncate_Log_Backup.TRN'

GO

--Check the size of the transaction log backup file

--SQL 2000 or earlier

exec xp_getfiledetails 'C:\SimpleTestDB_Post-Truncate_Log_Backup.TRN'

--OR if your server allows xp_cmdshell

exec master..xp_cmdshell 'dir c:\SimpleTestDB_Post-Truncate_Log_Backup.TRN'

--OR otherwise - go look up the size of the file :)

GO

--Clean Up

DROP DATABASE SimpleTestDB

--Remember to delete the 300-MB DB backup file and the stray transaction log backup file too! (manually, sorry, I'm not going to rely on the presence of xp_cmdshell)

The transaction log backup file is tiny - the fact that the pages have been deallocated is presumably logged (a list of page references?), but the pages themselves are not backed up to the transaction log (or transaction log backup) file.

I think I'm missing your point. Where are you rolling back the changes after the tlog backup?

• Paul White NZ (4/24/2010)

I believe Hugo is confusing the logging behaviour of TRUNCATE TABLE with the behaviour of minimally-logged data changes under the BULK_LOGGED recovery model.

The allocation unit deallocations performed by TRUNCATE TABLE (whether or not these are deferred and performed asynchronously on a background thread) do not change data - so BCM bits are not set, and the affected pages are not included in the next log backup.

All that needs to be logged for full recoverability is the fact that the allocation units were deallocated. See Tracking Modified Extents for details of how SQL Server uses the Bulk Changed Map, and the impact on transaction log backups.

Yes, that was indeed what I was confused with. Thanks, Paul, for correcting me, and for providing the link to help me refresh my memory. All the bits and pieces were there, they just failed to connect in the right way 😀

And Tao, thank you for posting the script to demonstrate that I was wrong. Boy, if only I had taken the time to test this myself before posting... Ah well, water under the bridge.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Well, here's a new one: I got it wrong - answered 0 - because of the way safary on iPhone renders the code. I was Like WTF way down 4 pages untill someone quoted the question and I saw THE actual last select AFTER the rollback statement 🙁

guess i'll have to use my 2fingers more often to check if there IS more code in the blue box. Or maybe ssc will get an iPhone friendly theme?

Am I alone in this?

Hrvoje

Hrvoje Piasevoli

• That will teach you using Safari 😛

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• da-zero (4/28/2010)

That will teach you using Safari 😛

nice one da-zero 🙂 let's open a new item at connect: IE for iPhone:-D

I am actually glad I messed up for the sake of some valuable info given in this discussion.

And, somewhere in there a good question was raised: is @@version enough or should you query db compatibility level in order to use some new feature?

--

great people here @ ssc

Hrvoje

Hrvoje Piasevoli

• ca anybody give me the more info about this quetion.

because i am really surprised that how to rollback truncate command.

i have tried the same on 2000 and 2005, it is working opposite to my knowledge.

i have always read that, we cant rollback truncate statement, but it is happening with the given example.

Please revert

• saagrawal (7/30/2010)

it is working opposite to my knowledge.

Where did you read that you can't rollback a truncate? Do you have specific sources?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thanks...

i was wrong.

can you please provide the some sources for the Sql servers Questions and Answers so that i can grow my self.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,

Saurabh A

• The Q&A come from different people and those people use different references. Usually each question has the source listed below it once you've tried to answer the question.

But if you want to start without those references, start with Books Online, then start googling different terms that you hear on the forums. You'll come up with all sorts of threads discussing different things.

And if you still can't find the answers you're seeking, post to SCC.com. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply