Trouble with the client tools upgradation : Urgent

• Hi Jeff,

I am using RDP to install the SP2. This what i get when i go to SSMS-> Help -> About

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 9.00.1399.00

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2005.090.1399.00

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.086.3959.00 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)

Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.3790.3959

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.1433

Operating System 5.2.3790

When i run select @@version i get

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (X64)

Oct 14 2005 00:35:21

Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

(1 row(s) affected)

And this what i see in my object explorer is "servername(SQL Server 9.0.1399...)" and in front of this Database symbol having white circle.

And we are using this server for the website database. so.........:unsure:

If it is clustered and not have database engine then how can we connect to database. Other servers are showing green symbol and if i right click to them then start, stop, resume. restart are not greyed out to them. But only to this server it's a problem.

Zombi

• I really don't know what else to tell you. In Object Explorer - what is the actual name of the server you are connected to?

Does it match the name of the server you are logged into?

They both should be DPPSQL5 if you are connecting to that server. All I can tell you is that the summary you posted in the previous message did not show that the server you were connected to had a database engine installed on it.

Try starting SQL Server Configuration Manager and verifying the services that are installed on that system.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi Jeff,

I am connecting to the same server as i said . When i tried to connect to the configuration manager it throws an error which is

" Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage sql server 2005 servers with sql server configuration manager.

Initilization failure [0x80041014]"

And when i tried to open a sql surface area configuration it throws an error like,

"Computer localhost does not exist on the network, or the computer cannot be configured remotely. Verify that the computer has the required windows management Instrumentation components and then try again (SQLSAC)

Additional information:

|-> An exception occured in SMO while trying to manage a service. (Microsoft.Sqlserver.Smo)

|_> Initialization failure (system.management)"

Is there any way that i can put the screen shots in this message. Because i was trying to put the screent shot of that server but i can not. Otherwise you can get a better idea to the problem by looking at it.

Zombi.

• Yes, you can attach documents. Scroll down further and you will see a button to Edit Attachments.

The errors you are getting show that you have a problem with WMI on that server. If you can't reboot the server to try and clear that issue, try accessing the services applet (Run | services.msc).

See what the SQL Server services are on the server. This will be any services that begin with SQL Server.

And, can you please tell me what the server name is in Object Explorer?

Jeffrey Williams

• Hi Jeff,

I have already checked the services from administrative tools-> services all the sql server services are on. Services are ON that is why i can connect to the database. I am attaching a snap shot of the object explorer view. If you can advice me from this.

I have attached the server which is running fine and the server which is giving problem. Can you please check that out.

And i have tried to install sp2 two times and i have already rebooted system 2 times after that. But it is still giving the same problem.

Zombi

• Well, I am at a loss here - the summary you showed does not show an instance being available on that system. The service pack cannot update what it does not see - and, from an earlier post you showed that the client tools were not even updated.

If you still cannot get into SQL Server Configuration Manager due to a WMI error, then I think it is time to get Microsoft involved. I am thinking that the service pack is not running successfully because of this problem.

Wish I could help more - sorry.

Jeffrey Williams

• Hi Jeff,

No worries mate, You tried your best to answer my question. Thank you so much for your time and effort. May i will try to contact microsoft because any how i have to update this server.

One thing i wanted to ask you is when we make a clustered server does the icon shows as the icon is showing in the server image i have attached????

Still if anyone can provide me some help related to this topic will be appreciated. Please go throught the posts sended by me and jeff and if you can add something then it will be great.Thanks.

Zombi

• The only time I see the icon without a green arrow is when I am connected to a cluster or there is some issue with connecting to that server. Your firewall may be blocking access or there is a problem with WMI (which we know there is).

I am still concerned with the fact that your upgrade summary does not show that there is a database engine on that server. Here is what the summary shows on one of my servers (upgraded from SP1):

**********************************************************************************

Products Detected Language Level Patch Level Platform Edition

Setup Support Files ENU 9.1.2047 x86

Database Services (MSSQLSERVER) ENU SP1 2005.090.2153.00 x86 STANDARD

Integration Services ENU SP1 9.00.2153.00 x86 STANDARD

SQL Server Native Client ENU 9.00.2047.00 x86

Client Components ENU SP1 9.1.2153 x86 STANDARD

MSXML 6.0 Parser ENU 6.00.3883.8 x86

SQLXML4 ENU 9.00.2047.00 x86

Backward Compatibility ENU 8.05.1704 x86

Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer ENU 9.00.2047.00 x86

**********************************************************************************

As you can see, the Database Services shows up as an installed product. I also took a look at one of my clusters and the summary shows which components could not be installed because it needs to be installed from the active node. I don't recall seeing those kinds of messages in your summary.

Jeffrey Williams

• Let's try something else - verify the name of your instance for this server. Open the services applet, scroll down to the SQL Server instances, expand them so you can see the full information.

If you see the following: SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) - this is a default instance.

If you see something like: SQL Server (DPPSQL5) - this is a named instance.

If you have a named instance, then you really should be connecting using SERVER\INSTANCE instead of just the instance name. If that is the case, then there is either a client alias - or a redirect in the .hosts file or even something setup in DNS. If either of those are setup - that could be preventing you from accessing the instance.

And the last thing we can try is to verify the edition you have on that system. It may just be an Express edition which cannot be upgraded using the normal service pack and must be updated using a service pack specifically designed for the Express Edition.

To verify the edition, run the following: Select serverproperty('Edition');

Note: just connected to a couple of my named instances and the icon is white. This tells me that just maybe you have a named instance using the Express Edition with an alias defined somewhere for the name.

Jeffrey Williams

• Hi Jeff,

I checked the services it is SQLserver (MSSQLSERVER) so it is a default instance and i checked the edition it is "enterprise edition 64bit":(.

This is our production server and we are using it so i think database engine must be working but i don't know why it is not showing in the summary.

And i think if it is a named instance then it can have a alias right??? And how to check that alias?

Thank You,

Zombi:)

• You can check the aliases by using SQL Server Configuration Manager (which, I don't think you can use because of the WMI error you are getting).

You can also find out if there are any aliases by checking:

\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo

If you cannot find anything else, I recommend working on getting WMI fixed and contacting Microsoft.

Jeffrey Williams

• hey jeff,

how r u doing? i solve that issue. I had to fix the WMI and now it is up and running.

Thanks for ur contribution.

zombi

• I am doing very well - thanks for asking.

So, to summarize this issue - we found that WMI was having problems and this caused the service pack to not be able to see the database engine and perform the upgrade. Once the issue with WMI was fixed, the upgrade process worked and you are now running on SP2. Is this correct?

BTW - if you are on version 9.0.3042 I highly recommend you get the patch to upgrade to 9.0.3054 (at least this version, 9.0.3239 if possible which is CU7). The original SP2 which is 9.0.3042 had a few issues with maintenance plans that were corrected in 9.0.3054.

Jeffrey Williams

• Hi !! I'm fighting with the same problem (trying to upgrade SQL 2K5 Client Tools to SP3). Now, I'm waiting for the server to be reinitiated, but it seems that the Database Engine was installed in english (ENU) and Client Tools in spanish (ESN) and it's necessary to apply the correct patch. If it works (I hope!!) I 'll upgrade you:cool:

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply