trouble connecting to my SQL server 2000 server by IP address

• Hi,

I'm Having trouble connecting to my SQL server 2000 server by IP address (from a VB.Net project running either on the same machine as the server, or any other machine on the network).

I checked in the server network utility, and TCP/IP is enabled, and is set to the default 1433 port. However, I checked the server's error log, and it doesn't say anything like:

2002 12 14 09:49:36.17 server SQL server listening on 192.168.1.5:1433,

though it does say it is listening on named pipes and shared memory. I presume this is the cause of the connection problem, as all the guides i've read state that it should say it is listening to the IP address if it is doing so.

anyone know what's going wrong?

here's my connection string(just in case!):

"Data Source=192.168.1.6,1433;Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=RiSQL;User ID=user;Password=ps;Connect Timeout=4;"

cheers,

Paul

• 1) is there any firewall in between?

2) What is the OS of your sql server and is sql server patched up to at least SP3+hotfix or SP4?

• have you checked the CLIENT network utility to ensure TCP/IP is enabled there as well?

Have you tried connecting WITHOUT telling it ,1433?  If this is the DEFAULT instance try NOT specifying the port and see if it works...

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Thanks for the help, I upgraded from SP3 to SP4 and now it works.. how did people connect by IP address before SP4?!

🙂

• it used to work fine ... but then MS started hard Coding stuff into the OS's (Win2k3 especially!) where it said it wouldn't support SQL Server Pre SP2 and deliberately blocked the ports!! it's been a gradual thing they've been sneaking in (without telling anyone!? )

• Okay, now I can connect to my SQL server from any machine on my local network. What I would really like to be able to do is to connect from machine on the internet.

Presumably I just need to configure a "custom service" on my router, forwarding port 1433 to my machine, and change my code to connect to my routers external IP..

I've done this however, and it doesn't work. ("SQL server does not exist or access denied")

As advised by a microsoft article, I used the "netstat -an" command to check the IP connection attempts to my machine. I can see (what I think is) my connection attempt on this list, (it originates from the external IP address of my router),The "State" message column for the entry says "TIME_WAIT", and there are no other entries originating from my router's external IP.

However it lists the target address as "192.168.1.6:20001" (the wrong port number? - should be 1433). Every entry on the list also lists 20001 as the target port.

Is there a setting I need to change, or am I going about this completely arseways? any help appreciated guys,

cheers!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply