trouble after migration from Access

• I have migrated an Access app to SQL 2005 over the weekend. I'm pretty new to SQL, have programmed in Access for years, but am still learning something new every day.

Most everything is working okay today as my client begins to use the new SQL backend. But some things are taking a very long time. In general, it looks like reading is faster and writing is slower. Posting an invoice used to take 10 seconds, today it is taking several minutes.

Any ideas? What should I look for?

Thanks,

Jim

• jim (3/3/2008)

I have migrated an Access app to SQL 2005 over the weekend. I'm pretty new to SQL, have programmed in Access for years, but am still learning something new every day.

Most everything is working okay today as my client begins to use the new SQL backend. But some things are taking a very long time. In general, it looks like reading is faster and writing is slower. Posting an invoice used to take 10 seconds, today it is taking several minutes.

Any ideas? What should I look for?

Thanks,

Jim

Depending on what you used to transfer from Access to 2005 - your indexing may be shot. In particular - you are likely missing a bunch of clustered indexes.

You may also need to do some reading up on locking and blocking - it's very possible that your transactions are being blocked by other activity on the server.

you may also need to add a timestamp field to some of your tables if they get to "acting slow".

You're going to have a somewhat steep learning curve.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Thank you, Matt. I used the upsizing wizard in Access 2003. Adding some indexes to a large zipcode based file has eliminated one problem with slowness printing UPS labels. I'll look for some with obvious solutions like that, and then work on that learning curve. 🙂

Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply