Triggers with parameters.

• Hi,

I have a situation where I think a trigger should work but I am not able to make it work. I have a table where I am stroing the details of a Test Request. Now, whenever a column named TestRequestStateId changes, I want to enter some of the details from this table into a history table.

Now the problem is if I write a trigger, to track down the column update, I cannot pass parameters to it. And I need to have the TestRequestNo (Primary key of the table) to get that record whose data I have to store in the History table. So how do I write a trigger which will insert a record in History table based on the TestRequestNo.

If this is not possible with a trigger, what other solution is possible. Please let me know if anyone comes up with an idea for this one.

Thanks,

Snigdha

• You will have to check the "Deleted" table for the values that you want to insert into your history table...based on the TestRequestNo...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• something like this (if you're updating only one row at a time)...

CREATE TRIGGER trgInsertIntoHistory ON [dbo].[tblTestRequest] 
    FOR UPDATE
    AS

BEGIN
    INSERT INTO tblHistory
    SELECT col1, col2 FROM Deleted
    END

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• I think that there is one more way to do this- Update the table , then check for the @@rowcount. If @@rowcount > 1 then perform the insert operation -

1. Update stmt

2. if @@rowcount > 1 then

Insert statement

• Hey,

Thanks a lot...

This is exactly wht I was looking for. Now I am right on target.

Snigdha

• If you want to get more functionality in your programming, take a look at books-online first. For example: why miss out on something like "IF UPDATE"...

IF UPDATE (column)

BEGIN

INSERT INTO audit_table(column)

SELECT t.column

FROM deleted as d

INNER JOIN base_table as t

ON d.id = t.id

END

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply