Trigger Query Deleted Row

• SQL Gurus:

Is there a way to query or capture a record that is being deleted from a table in a trigger? I want to shoot off an email when a certain record gets deleted, but I am unsure on how to do it. This is what I have so far.

CREATE TRIGGER [HumanResources].[ecorp_down]

ON [HumanResources].[Department]

AFTER DELETE

AS

DECLARE @stat varchar(50)

SET @stat = SELECT NAME_FIELD FROM DELETED

Thanks,

Dave

• What you have here will work just fine. You can just make a call to msdb..sp_send_dbmail (assuming you have database mail set up) and send whatever information you would like to about the deleted row.

You could also create a separate audit type of table that will capture the deletes for you, if that is something that is important.

• drodriguez (1/22/2009)

SQL Gurus:

Is there a way to query or capture a record that is being deleted from a table in a trigger? I want to shoot off an email when a certain record gets deleted, but I am unsure on how to do it. This is what I have so far.

CREATE TRIGGER [HumanResources].[ecorp_down]

ON [HumanResources].[Department]

AFTER DELETE

AS

DECLARE @stat varchar(50)

SET @stat = SELECT NAME_FIELD FROM DELETED

Thanks,

Dave

That will work perfectly well as long as only one record is being deleted. If you want to be able to handle multiples, you might try something like:

declare @stat varchar(max)

select @stat = isnull(@stat, '') = name_field + ', ' from deleted

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• Thanks. Is there a way to see this in SQL 2005 profiler?

• Not sure regarding Profiler but if you would like to keep track of all deleted names then 1) create table 2) insert all deleted records into it using OUTPUT. You can call this table any time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply