Trigger on system table?

• Hi,

Is it possible to do some action (or to be informed somehow) when new reference to specific table is added? For example I have database with 500 tables and I have 5 special tables where I need to know when new reference from another table or new reference from new created table appears. Something like trigger on system table. Or DDL trigger on unknown table 🙂

• Nobody can help? 🙁

• Michal Mokros (2/27/2008)

Hi,

Is it possible to do some action (or to be informed somehow) when new reference to specific table is added? For example I have database with 500 tables and I have 5 special tables where I need to know when new reference from another table or new reference from new created table appears. Something like trigger on system table. Or DDL trigger on unknown table 🙂

You could create a DDL trigger for the database for the CREATE_TABLE and the ALTER_TABLE events.

E.g.:

CREATE TRIGGER ddl1 ON DATABASE

FOR ALTER_TABLE, CREATE_TABLE

AS

BEGIN

SELECT EVENTDATA()

END

The problem is the granularity of the information you will get back. You will need to go through the CommandText element in the EVENTDATA and look for the REFERENCES word, and work out the the referenced table. You may want to do this in CLR, in TSQL it may become a pain.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• It will be quite complicated to parse EVENTDATA, but it is possible. Thank you, Andras!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply