Transferring SQL Server data to SAS ??

• Is there a way to transfer SQL Server data to a .sas file based on the columns (and its associated data) retrieved from a standard select query? (the query could be retrieving data from one table or from multiple tables via table joins)

• sql server can export data to excel, access or .txt files via DTS ....

it works for you ?

• 1. Create a system "Data Source" using the "ODBC Data Source Administrator" that points to your SQL Server database (e.g., "MySQLDatabase").

2. In SAS, use a "libname" statement to connect SAS to your "Data Source":

libname

sql odbc datasrc='MySQLDatabase';

Once you run this "libname" statement, you can refer directly to any table or view in your SQL database directly as if it were a SAS dataset. You don't really need to convert the data to a separate SAS dataset. If you do need or want to create a SAS dataset, then do the following:

To create a SAS data file from a SQL view named "MySQLView", run the following data statement:

data MySASData;

set sql.MySQLView;

run;

This data statement will convert your SQL "view" to a SAS data file in your work folder. To convert it to a "physical" disk file, just use "data MyFolder.MySASData;" where "MyFolder" is the folder refered to by another "libname" statement, such as:

libname MyFolder 'c:\MyData';

Hope this helps.

Denis

Denis W. Repke

• I was reading this post and I wonder how does this work on DTS if I want the export it an SAS .xpt format. Also how can I establish a a connect SAS connection to SQL through DTS? Any advice? Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply