Transfer SQL Server Objects: SQL 2005 -> 2017: "Cannot read property IsColumnSet."

• Hi All

I have a Transfer SQL Server Objects task to copy tables from SQL 2005 to SQL 2016 with an SSIS target version of SQL 2016 and it works perfectly fine.
    I have targeted this to SQL 2017 and I get the following error:

"Cannot read property IsColumnSet. This property is not available on SQL Server 2005"

I can re-write the job but does anyone have an easy fix for this, I can't seem to find much info anywhere 🙁

Thanks
    Mattie

• MattieG72 - Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:56 AM

Hi All

I have a Transfer SQL Server Objects task to copy tables from SQL 2005 to SQL 2016 with an SSIS target version of SQL 2016 and it works perfectly fine.

"Cannot read property IsColumnSet. This property is not available on SQL Server 2005"

I can re-write the job but does anyone have an easy fix for this, I can't seem to find much info anywhere 🙁

Thanks
    Mattie

I'm not surprised.  I suspect it's that SQL 2017 doesn't recognize a SQL 2005 data structure correctly because it no longer supports that compatibility level.  I'll be happy to be corrected, though, as I'm not 100% sure on it, but it does seem like a good bet...

EDIT: SQL 2005 compat level has not been supported for quite some time, going back to at least SQL 2014, so I'm surprised it worked in 2016.  However, transferring objects might have been able to work through 2016 because perhaps this was something that would work until SQL Server was changed in a way that required the higher level of database infrastructure.  It appears 2017 version finally does that.

• sgmunson - Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:45 PM

MattieG72 - Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:56 AM

Hi All

Thanks
    Mattie

I'm not surprised.  I suspect it's that SQL 2017 doesn't recognize a SQL 2005 data structure correctly because it no longer supports that compatibility level.  I'll be happy to be corrected, though, as I'm not 100% sure on it, but it does seem like a good bet...

EDIT: SQL 2005 compat level has not been supported for quite some time, going back to at least SQL 2014, so I'm surprised it worked in 2016.  However, transferring objects might have been able to work through 2016 because perhaps this was something that would work until SQL Server was changed in a way that required the higher level of database infrastructure.  It appears 2017 version finally does that.

Yes, I thought so. I'll do it another way, thank you very much for taking the time to respond 🙂

• MattieG72 - Friday, May 18, 2018 3:23 AM

sgmunson - Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:45 PM

MattieG72 - Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:56 AM

Hi All

Thanks
    Mattie

Yes, I thought so. I'll do it another way, thank you very much for taking the time to respond 🙂

One of the ways to do that is to stand up a 2008R2 instance and transfer the objects there, and then do the same to 2017 from 2008R2.   That would stand a very reasonable chance of working well.   Alternatively, one can restore a 2005 database on a 2008R2 instance, and then set the compatibility level up to 100, and then backup that database and restore it directly onto a 2017 instance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply