Transfer login task using SQL 2005 . I already tried SSIS

• Hi Guys,

I am currently trying to setup a transfer login task for SSIS, at the moment I notice that if I select transfer all logins, it doesn’t seem to work but if I choose selected logins, it tends to work.

I am wondering if there is a more efficient way to transfer login from one server to the other and also making the process automated. This was the reason why I wanted to use SSIS.

I have seen this Microsoft site which provides a script to do this, but my concern is that the result of the stored procedure is what needs to be executed on the other server. See the site on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918992/

Thanks.

• I read somewhere that you can bcp all logins to hard drive and then import them back using bcp on other server. Unfortunately I don't have readymade code for you. I shall try to search. Can anyone else post that code?

-LK

• Syntax: bcp master..syslogins out -U -P -S -c

Example: bcp master..syslogins out C:\logins.txt -Usa -P -SServername -c

On the target server, BCP syslogins in

Syntax: bcp master..syslogins in -U -P -S -c

Example: bcp master..syslogins in C:\logins.txt -Usa -P -SServername -c

HTH!

MJ

• You can use the SP sp_help_revlogin

which is given by Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246133

You will find 2 SPs and you need to create both of them in your master db.

Then execute this SP (SP_HELP_REVLOGIN) in your current servers Master DB without any parameter and copy the result, then execute the result on your New Server this is a easiest as well as BEST way to transfer logins from one server to another server.

Regards,
    Sarabpreet Singh 😎
    Sarabpreet.com
    SQLChamp.com
    Twitter: @Sarab_SQLGeek

• I can see this, but this does not resolve permission problems though.

• What sort of permission problems you are facing, pls. share so we can help you.

Regards,
    Sarabpreet Singh 😎
    Sarabpreet.com
    SQLChamp.com

• What i mean is that the code will create the login in the master DB, but it will not map permissions to the user databases.

i.e grant permissions for user DB's etc.

• Dean, i am not getting you.

What do you mean by

code will create the login in the master DB, but it will not map permissions to the user databases.

In SQL Server logins are always created in master db.

You are talking about the user DB permissions, that will be fixed when you backup the user db and restore on that server. otherwise you need to give permissions again.

This forum post was talking about logins not users.

Do this way

first backup the user db and restore it on new server

then run that sp and execute the result in new server

that should solve the issue, if the issue persists then you can use sp_change_user_login with auto_fix.

Regards,
    Sarabpreet Singh 😎
    Sarabpreet.com
    SQLChamp.com

• Ok

I understand it now, so what does the SSIS task do because from what i have seen, it doesnt work properly.

• May be.

I haven't tried it. I use SSIS but to transfer logins this sp seems gud to me and moreover it has been tried and tested on many instances of SQL 2000 so never thought of using this one.

Regards,
    Sarabpreet Singh 😎
    Sarabpreet.com
    SQLChamp.com

• Hi i am trying to do the same.

But i have som other problems : )

I can get the SSIS to copy all logins to the other server.

But i can't get the users enabled and sync the password.

The problem you are having with no logins transferd is probably because all users hade master as default database.

Best regards

Johan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply