Transfer Database Task

• Hi All,

I'm trying to process a Transfer Database task from a SQL 2008 server to a SQL 2012 server. It runs for about 15 minutes and then it fails, however, the log isn't very helpful and only presents the following:

12/01/2015 16:19:07[Job_name],Error,1,[Destination_Server],[Job_name],[Job_name]_Step,,Executed as user: [User_name]. Started: 16:19:07 Finished: 16:33:01 Elapsed: 834.234 seconds. The package execution failed. The step failed.,00:13:56,0,0,,,,0

Can anyone give any insight as to why it might be failing?

Thanks.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• No, but generally a better (easier, less prone to errors) way of getting a DB from SQL 2008 to SQL 2012 is backup/restore. Is that an option?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (12/1/2015)

No, but generally a better (easier, less prone to errors) way of getting a DB from SQL 2008 to SQL 2012 is backup/restore. Is that an option?

What we've been using, however, the other server is on a different network, with which we have trust to access. We have an SSIS task on the 2008 box that backs-up and then zips the files up. Then the 2012 box would access the drive, copy them across and restore. For some reason that isn't working any more (says it can't find the files, but copying the file path out of the error that SSIS gives takes you straight to them), so I'm exploring other options while trouble shooting the original process.

I'm just conscious that there's a few fall over points in the current process, and so hope that transfer might be the answer.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• To be honest, I'd suggest debugging the backup solution. Transfer's not something that I'd recommend using except for downgrading a database. It's also a lot slower than backup/restore (it scripts objects and does inserts into the tables)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The log message that you posted are from the job itself and not the SSIS Package. Do you have, if not you should, logging enabled within the SSIS package? If so go to that location the package logs to and you should get a better idea of the cause.

----------------------------------------------------

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply