Transactional Replication Validation

• I'm currently replicating an article to 5 different subscribers. One of the subscribers seems to be out of sync. Doing a simple select count(*) between the two tables, I'm seeing one table reporting 4,637,090 records while the other is reporting 4,958,558 records.

When I check Replication Monitor and view the details of the subscription, I see "The initial snapshot for publication 'Dev' is not yet available.

I do not particularly care about fixing this at the moment. What I'd really like to do is be able to monitor and validate so that when these issues arise then I can respond to them in a timely manner.

I've checked BOL and they specify using sp_publication_validation and I'm using it as follows:

exec sp_publication_validation 'Dev'

This just returns the counts of the tables. I was expecting an error code but did not get anything. Any ideas?

• So I've been doing some digging. Apparently everytime you run this system stored procedure, it creates an entry in msdb..sysreplicationalerts.

However, in this particular case, it did not create a record for either success or failure for the subscriber that has not been working properly. That should work for the purpose of keying on something for alerting.

• Check out this link. It looks like you have to enable the related alerts. I did that for the passed validation alert and ran the proc. That added rows to sysreplicationalerts.

http://www.mssqlcity.com/Articles/Replic/ValidTR/ValidTR.htm

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply