Transactional Replication - mssql 2008

• Hi,

I am using transactional replication between two sql server 2008 64-bit standard edition servers. My subscription db log file size is around 150 Gb although the database is in simple recovery model and both the db are in sync state.

Can i truncate the subscriber db log file? Will there be any issue?

Thanks

Vivek

• is there actually anything in the log? Just cos it's 150GB doesn't mean there's any data.

Other point is that you should check for aged open transactions as the log cannot clear down beyond the oldest open transaction.

Best practice says you don't truncate logs - checkpoitn and dbcc updateusage will normally clear any log entries in simple recovery, back the log up in full.

You might also want to check for VLFs - these can cause problems if you have lots.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

There is nothing in the log.

log_reuse_wait_desc showing 'nothing' and DBCC Loginfo is showing 8663 VLF and two oldest VLF having having status 2.

The log size increased during the initial snapshot synchronization.

Also I am taking full backup daily and hourly differential backup.

Thanks

Vivek

• No issue at all

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Thanks a lot. I have truncated transaction log.

One more thing...Can delete the initial snapshot files as they 60 GB in size and my replication is running from last 20 days so I don't think that these files can ever be used to initialize the database again.

Thanks

Vivek

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply