Transactional database on virtual server

• Hi everybody, I have a server that have a DB transactional and I want migrate this to a virtual server, this have other virtual servers that contain aplications but don't consume most resources, there is some problem? Some DBA has coment to me that this can affect the I/O en the DB transactional, what others implicancies can is there?

Thanks by your help

• There are a bunch of whitepapers out on this subject (Hyper-v performance, virtualization, consolidation, etc.) on the Microsoft SQL Server site, so I suggest that you check them out. I just set up mine at home here and I am anxious to do some load testing myself. Great technology, but virtualization in the Microsoft space needs to mature a bit I'm thinking.

Good luck!

• IO seems to be the biggest issue with this, but you have to test. Don't forget that virtual instances are sharing resources. You don't get a "Free machine" by going virtual. There are plenty of people that have done this on regular servers (local storage) and experienced horrible performance.

I have friends running SQL on virtual instances with dedicated IO paths to SANs that work well.

If this is a loaded SQL Server, don't virtualize it. If it's barely being used, then it might be a good candidate.

• As Steve said the decision to visualize comes from the usage; look at some the the Key Performance Indicators to see how SQL Server is working under workload.

If nothing jumps out at you then it should be to visualize it; I have right now multiple dev, test, production environments in virtual server for both SQL 2000 and 2005 without issues.

Thanks.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Agreed. Plan on lots of testing besides reading up on the subject. I worked for a client in Dallas that was moving to a virtual environment; I set up all of the SQL Servers for them but did only minimal testing before my gig was up. Client was a Linux box interestingly, or at least I thought it was, but found later that a lot of folks are using this technology for a host. They did some testing and found that the IOPS were very good but still less than what they expected. SAN had 108 disks set up correctly so I figured that it would do fairly well. The additional layers and NIC seem to be places for bottlenecks, so again testing is your best bet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply