Transaction replication doubts..?

• My table has 175203942 rows and the size is 361 GB used for datawarehousing, I am going configure transactional replication on this table. how much time it will take to create snapshot to other server.? Please advice

I have another doubt. if i am stopping the log reader agent job for 2 hours in the publisher and the transactions are written to the data file, running the checkpoint in the publisher, starting the log reader, will all the transaction happened in 2 hours will be replicated to the subscriber.?

• karthikaug18 (1/25/2012)

My table has 175203942 rows and the size is 361 GB used for datawarehousing, I am going configure transactional replication on this table. how much time it will take to create snapshot to other server.? Please advice

That's going to depend a lot on your hardware but as a wild guess about 12-16 hours.

I have another doubt. if i am stopping the log reader agent job for 2 hours in the publisher and the transactions are written to the data file, running the checkpoint in the publisher, starting the log reader, will all the transaction happened in 2 hours will be replicated to the subscriber.?

Yep, but that's gonna be a huge log file. Be prepared to stall a bit while it's transferred.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Thanks for the reply..

• As Evil Kraig F said it will be quite hardware dependent.

To my eyes it would be around: time to backup the table + time to send that over the network + time to restore it on the other side.

That's roughly what the replication does for the first time.

If you happen having those numbers to fit each part of the equation for your hardware, you will have some time equivalent for your operation.

• Personally, I would logship the database and set up the publication and subscription with out initialising from snapshot. You could bring replication online within a couple of minutes doing this.

There are a couple of ways of doing this which I could help you with or point you in the right direction

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply