transaction replication

• We are trying to migrate Sybase server to MSSQL 2005.

The sybase server is using sybase replication. The scenario is like like:

table A in server A has a transactional replciation to table A in server B. Table A in server B is used for storing historical data. Everynight we have a purge script to purge data for table A in Server A. The purge script is doing the following things basically:

set replication off

go

delete tableA where c1 not in (1,5)

go

set replication on

go

In Sybase, when you run 'set replication off', the subsequent commands are not replcated until you run 'set replcation on', so the delete command does not get replicated into the Server B.

My question: does MSSQL's replcation have similar commands?

I checked MSSQL manual and online groups, but could not get answers. Please help. This is kind of crucial for our migration. Thanks in advance.

• I believe all you need to do is to stop the Log Reader Agent / Distribution Agent. Be careful with Log Reader Agent, if you stop it and the database is in full recovery mode, the transaction log will not get truncated!!!

Ed

• Sorry, I miss read the question. Yes you can do it by changing the custom stored procedure (sp_MSdel_dboTableName) or creating your own custom stored procedure.

Ed

• thank you!

I also got some ideas from other posts. I put them together here.

If I add one extra boolean column (call it "cleanFlag" or something) to all replicated tables, I could set this column to default false.

Then, when executing the cleaning tool the tool could set this column to true right before deleting it.

Then, if the deleting replication stored procedure (sp_MSdel_...) checks for this flag, the delete statement could be skipped in the procedure!

For example:

Create table t1(c1 int, cleaning tinyint defult 0,primary key(c1))

Purge script:

Update t1 set cleaning =1 where c1 in (2,5)

Go

Delete t1 where c1 in (2,5)

Go

For sp_MSdel_dbot1:

ALTER procedure [dbo].[sp_MSdel_dbot2]

@pkc1 int

as

begin

delete [dbo].[t1]

where [c1] = @pkc1

and cleaning=0

if @@rowcount = 0

if @@microsoftversion>0x07320000

exec sp_MSreplraiserror 20598

end

go

The only drawback here compared to sybase replication is that those unwanted delete log records still flow through to the subscriber and you need one more update before delete.

• Do you want to disable replication of all deletes all the time, or are you trying to selectively disable deletes at particular times while allowing deletes to be replecated at others?

Kendal Van Dyke
    http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply